• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Matting, framing an online image

Hey all:

There are automated actions you can download into Photoshop. This one comes from a fellow nature photographer, Ryan DesJardins. It is one of several examples of a series of automations that will allow you to mat and frame images for online posting. I can't post a link to Ryan's site, because it's a commercial site and he is not an FM sponsor or staffer. The action is free to download from his site, however, and a google search of just his name will take you there.

The actions allow for several matting/framing options, and there are directions on how to use them. They work for PC or Mac (separate downloads), and work for Photoshop CS2 and CS3. You have to know how to use your actions palette in Photoshop (I didn't, but it's a snap to learn).

It only adds 30 seconds to the process of getting an image ready for the Web, too. There are other ways of doing this in other pp programs, and some here do that. This is simply one more tool. All toward the goal of presenting the images we post here on FM at their best and most flattering. grin.gif

If others would like to post their techniques here as well, perhaps with an example or two (Jonny Redhorse comes to mind immediately), that's cool. There are plenty of different ways to skin a cat, and it's always interesting to see how others do it. Also, many who post here do not have the full-blown Photoshop and may have developed ways to do the same things in Elements, Paintshop Pro and other programs. Please remember to follow forum policy about posting links, however. cool.gif

bunchberriesframed.jpg

I generally do my make my own frames if I want to spend the time to do it. I downloaded the ones you mentioned and they look like nice actions Steve. Which one did you use? Actions I could not survive without! When you do upwards of a few thousand shots per week all PP I would go crazy without them. I have about 15 or 20 I have made to make life easier. Here is an experimental Out of Bounds I happened to be playing with.

182719287-L.jpg

Dan, I used the final of the single-mat-framed options available in the download. Thing I like so much about these is that the mat cutouts and frame shadows are so natural, and I almost always use a white mat and black or cherry colored frame when I hang my work.

I love what you did, although the mat color doesn't work for me. The out-of-bounds aspect is very cool.

You know, of course, that in the spirit of this thread you'll have to tell us all how you did it. grin.gif

Yeah, rough draft not sure I care for the color either. Here is one with a more neutral matte and cleaned up around the cutout. Honestly the steps are way to numerous to post but a google search on "Out of Bounds photos" will yield a number of good sites on how this works. I am going to use this technique on a few of the posters I build.

182756695-L.jpg

Dan

Steve!..great image of the bunchberries!.....(I see it's a borrowed one).....here's a "sample" of a bunchberry image from last year with a frame from one of my programs called "ID Framer"(pay for this program 29.00 bucks if I remember)...google it and you'll find all the info needed...I really like it as it has dozens and dozens of different framing options(drop shadows etc)....another(not as good ) is "Ultra Snap"(free download) has fewer framing options but does add "drop shadows" and ability to "tweek" ones image ,sharpen, etc...there are others of course but these are the 2 I use the most but I must add that I use "picasa"(free download again) first on all my images for majority of my post processing then resize all my images for FM(compression)using "photo elements"then I use the "ID Framer" on the same compressed image....then.....I may add more sharpening if need be in "Photo Elements"....then.....I save the image to my "over the net" photo saving programs(many of them of course)...simple as that grin.gif... shocked.gif...well,almost as simple as that grin.gif...I'd be lost without the ability to use these programs as I've really become dependent on what they can do to "enhance" ones images...we all know that it's personal choice as to what one really needs for one's photos to make them appealing for ones self or for the public...these programs have met my needs...some examples of frames and dropshadows:....

a frame example:

Frame_bunchberries.jpg

"drop shadow" example:

Frame_twindeer36.jpg

drop shadows with captions of course:

Frame_amanitascarey004-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF5781-1copy.jpg

Frame_grouse3-1.jpg

redleaves77.jpg

Frame_DSCF5789-1.JPG

took this photo this morning down in the Zim area...

theolddays.jpg

All you folks have just amazing talent! I love looking at this stuff just for the ideas. Theres really no limits as to what one can do with a camera is there. It takes an imagination! Very inspiring all of you! wink.gif

Dbl... I love the out of bounds shot, It just puts a whole new look to it.... puts a lot more action into an otherwise "normal" shot maybe? I dont know, but I like it! laugh.gif