• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One Talented Canine

Although this completely about my dog, I do consider him my good buddy, and to be equipment sometimes during the hunting season.(That sounds terrible) I thought you guys would find this entertaining. My dog Mohgan, is springer spaniel, and the stingiest, sneakiest hound around. He'll get mad when the last person leaves the house. Whoever the last person out is,....is the victim. He'll go and grab an item of the person that left him alone and chew the dump out of it. Any way, as you all know, It was the beginning of dear(gun) season last weekend. And I was [PoorWordUsage]ed when I got home. I threw my pack on the floor and when to bed. My bag remained on the floor all day today while I was gone. I found out today that Mohgan has acquired some new talents. He can now open zippers!
I had all kinds of food left in the bottom portion of my bag and he found it. And This was no ordinary zipper. It had a fly covering the zipper. And I find it difficult to open. So I now have a quite talented hound that may soon be in the gear for sale section wink.gif

I've 2 animals at home that are more entertaining than any of the kids !
Our yellow lab has now been reclassified as a "fish dog" instead of a bird dog. While setting the portables up in the garage last week and firing up the auger she got more excited at the site of the ice fishing gear than she does when I open the gun safe and take out a shotgun grin.gif That's when I realized that she's 2 years old and spent more time on the ice than she has in the woods. Than there's our 9 year old, 90 pound golden retreiver....I mean refridgerator retriever wink.gif ... who can wake from a dead sleep in the basement and appear magically in the kitchen doorway anytime the fridge door is opened.

I've gotta add one here - a few years ago I had a male German Shorthair that I was given by a co-worker. When I went to see the pooch the owner insisted on demonstrating his favorite trick.
They have a fenced in back yard with a kennel inside the fence. I asked why the kennel? Then he let him out of the kennel and he went immediately over to the rabbit cage which was off the ground about 30 inches. He then proceeded to head butt the bottom of the rabbit cage which sent the rabbits running around the perimeter of the cage as fast as a t shirt in the spin cycle. It was hilarious.

Bigguns -
Clever dog, man. I can't take my lab fishing with me as much as I'd like to, 'cause he tries to fetch the cast.
In Florida I had a dog that I left on the shore while me & my buds took out a canoe and were heading across towards the weeds. The dog starts swimming towards us, and while I'm scanning the water for gators that might wanna eat my dog, he makes it to the canoe, and when we try to help him in, it dumps. Now there's three guys and a dog treading water in gator/mocassin country, trying to scramble back into a canoe.
Oh - the tackle box was open when we dumped. My tackle collection was reduced to six bobbers, a hula-popper and a couple of floating cranks. Yup, rods went down too.
18 years later it's funny, but man did I dislike that dog for a while after that!!

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Our border collie herds people. If my wife and I are in different rooms, the dog will try to herd one of us into the room with the other. True obsession.

Tried to bring her in the canoe once. Big mistake. Wet clothes, tackle box on the bottom, etc.

She also hates boat motors. Won't go in the boat for all the dog food in China. And when we pull away from the dock she turns crazy dog and lunges and snarls and barks and rolls her eyes like a werewolf. She's even crazied herself off the dock and into the water after that growling motor. Wow.

But that's good in a way. She chases jet skiers away when they whiz by the dock. grin.gif She also has jumped off the dock after a low-flying bush plane.

I am not making this up, I swear. She's sweet as pie to people. I think she just doesn't have enough to do.

Think I'll go for a good old Lab next time.

Anybody want a dog? grin.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-20-2002).]