• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

depth finder

what if anything is anyone using for a depth finder in your canoe? Im quite used to being on a boat with a motor and a good finder. dipping the paddles in, reading a map and guessing and using a sinker tied to the end of my line isnt all that fun. My thought was an inexpensive unit wired to a couple of lantern batteries all in/on a small wooden box. im trying to keep this setup simple.

I picked up an Eagle 320 Portable, has a suction cup transducer. Takes (8) "D" batteries or you can get the rechargable battery pack. I think I paid around 180.00. Great unit, was strongly recommended by fellow FMer's.

I have a humminbird pirhana max. Works pretty well. Its not a top of the line fishfinder by any means, but does a great job at depth and structure. Costs about $120, and uses 8 AA batteries. I get about 20 hrs out of a charge, which is good and they batteries are cheap and lightweight.

Big heavy lantern batteries can be a pain in the butt, a buddy of mine had them in his kayak FF set up, but quickly went for the AA solution via Radio Shack.

The main question to ask is how permanent do you want your FF mounting to be in your canoe?

thats just it I dont want it permanent. the lighter and simpler the better. basic pic of depth and structure on an LCD is all Im after. dont need GPS or any of the bells n whistles.

Then I recommend you look at the Piranha max. Or see if you can find one used.

I highly recommend going with a unit that works on AA batteries (or even D). As they are so much lighter and with the cost of rechargables these days, you can insure that you will have plenty of juice.

I have an old eagle portable, I can't even remember how much i paid. Never found the suction cup to work very well, so i bought a detachable bracket. I replaced the battery pack with a vexilar battery, sort of heavy, but very rechargeable, and at the wattage of the eagle, it will last 6-7 days. Very nice on that extended bwca or quetico trip.

Used to do the Eagle/ Hummingbird ( 8 D-cell ) thing & it was great. Now-a-days I have friends who use the flashlight looking depth finder & that works great for them, but I have found over the last 2 summers that this little Zebco ZF200 number ( Gander Mt @ $85 )has worked great for me.

This unit will give a continuis depth reading as well as weeds & other marks that have the fish icon. Sometimes fish other times branches or stumps. It's a small unit @ the size of a hand held GPS. Uses 4 AAA bats'. The transducer comes with a float that I cut off & use a stick/ duct tape/ 2" hand clamp to secure to the canoe.

I am a 'wet foot' canoest so there is usually a bit of water in the floor of the canoe, so I put it in a ziplock & 'beiner the cord to the seat to prevent wetness or total loss in case of a dump. Here is what the unit looks like.... Easy, easy, easy...

LOTW001.jpg

The transducer 'mount'

LOTW002.jpg

Later, -CLoma

I have a humminbird pirhana max as well. I have used it two seasons and it should fit what your looking for. It works great for giving you water depth, structure, and water temp.

I have both the old eagle portable and the pirhana max, they are both great units. I also have a vexilar battery powering the eagle... good for fishing around the cities. Use the pirahana when portaging is involved.

I fish everything out of a canoe (unless someone wants to give a poor AmeriCorps worker a boat), so its pretty essential to have a depth finder.

Many depth finders can shoot right through the hull of your canoe - as long as you don't have a hollow-core hull.

To test it out, put a bit of water on the floor, place your transducer down, and try it out. If you're in luck, you can make a simple arrangement to place your transducer INSIDE the canoe and avoid outside clamps, etc.

My Vex Boundary Waters units shoot right through the hulls of the Grummans, the Alumacraft, the Souris River, my Lund 14 and 16 foot boats......

Quote:
Many depth finders can shoot right through the hull of your canoe

I use my Vex FL-8 in my canoe. I've never had a problem shooting through the hull in my canoe or any small aluminum boat. I usually don't need to add water, either. Just make sure it's flat to the hull and there's no sand, grit, etc., inbetween.

Originally Posted By: Wormdrowner
I picked up an Eagle 320 Portable, has a suction cup transducer. Takes (8) "D" batteries or you can get the rechargable battery pack. I think I paid around 180.00. Great unit, was strongly recommended by fellow FMer's.

I have this same setup on my canoe and love it. You just can't go wrong with this setup because there is no need to do any fabrication.