• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

car topping, car size and canoe size

is there any guidelines for how big of a canoe you can strap to the top of your car?? I am hoping to take one of those 40 x 48 utility trailers and modify it as a canoe trailer but that would mean any time I want to use my canoe I would have to borrow My GF's truck. I have an old Dodge Neon as my daily driver. is my 17' fiberglass canoe too large? it has no roof rack. I was thinking of just using some of those foam block / tiedown setups on it. Im not real concerned of putting ripples in my roof (its an old beater) im more concerned with the size of the car itself. the car measures out at about 14' long so the canoe is about 3' longer. BTW. I wouldnt be taking any long trips mostly just in the metro area. very limited interstate travel.

am I good to go? or should I just bite the bullet and spend a few $$ on the trailer idea??

I tote my 18-1/2 foot alumacraft on a 95 Saturn. I prefer to use my truck but I don't like paying the gas prices. I just use a few ratchet straps and foam blocks. If I cared what my car looked like, I probably wouldn't do that. But if I cared what my car looked like, I probably wouldn't be driving a 95 Saturn, either. Just make sure the thing is tied down tight so you don't hurt someone. You ever see those people with mattresses tied to their car with twine, one hand out the window hanging onto the mattress? Why can't they just buy a decent strap instead of putting the rest of us at risk for an accident?

There is no rule for the size of a vehicle. I used to carry a 17ft'r on an '85 toyota corrola. As long as its tied down correctly you shouldn't have any problems traveling locally or on the highway.

Consider buying a cartopping kit. If not you should have at least 1 locking nylon strap for over the top of the vehicle. 2 is better, even on a small car. It helps prevent the boat from pivoting at the center. Foam pads or even some pieces of pipe insulation help make a less slippery surface between the boat and roof. They also compress a bit unload for really tightening down the straps.

In general you only need to tie off the front end of the boat as a safety. If I was putting it on a smaller vehicle then I would get a rope on the front and back for safety straps. They don't really hold down the boat, the straps do, but they are there in case the boat shifts.

I've lost many foams blocks because I didn't get it tight enough or the boat shifted or caught a wind and lifted just enough. I always have 6 blocks. That leaves me with 2 extras.

I would say you should use the trailer idea too if you really want to. If I am only bringing one canoe, I car top it, but if I'm bringing both of mine or a friends along, we take my trailer. Its a small utility trailer that I added crossbars to. I get 3 canoes on there.

I went out and got the car topping kit you spoke of with the foam blocks and tie downs. I dont care too much about my car. its just basic transportation. I think Ill eventually do the trailer since My GF's truck is going to be mine in about a year or so (she has a short attention span with vehicles,lol)

basically for now saving the cash on the trailer will pay for a trolling motor making my trips more enjoyable.

thanks for the input folks!!

I took the canoe out today on lake Gervais in Little canada. rode on top of the car wonderful. the "truckers knot" is a must know when tying something down. glad I learned how to do it. I put a couple of scratches in the roof, but oh well, its just a cheap beater.

here is a pic of it on the car.

IMG_0966.jpg

Every car I've ever had until now has gotten scratched and dented on teh roof form carrying my canoes. 2 of them were leased trucks and no one noticed. Either way it doesn't matter. That boat sure looks nice though.

I have had my eye out for a cheap rack. cheapest so far has been $150.

my car is already scratched and dinged and I plan to keep it till its ready for the Junk yard, so Im not too worried.