• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goofy swimming form

Dahitman44

My 14-month old lab named Copper has some pretty funny swimming form. I worked with him for an hour last night at our local lake and he flails around a lot on the way to the decoy, then gets in and swims back to me the right way.

He looks pretty goofy and is not the right way. Will he grow out of this?

My old lab that passed recently swam the right way, but may have done that as a pup -- I don't remember.

Thoughts?

They usually get that form from trying to swim to fast on the way to the bumper, then they settle down on the way back in... lots of swim time and he will out grow it.

Good Luck!

Ken

Hitman.....did I read you right? the dog gets "the decoy and then..." I don't think you want your pal retrieving the decoys. And don't worry about the silly/sloppy swimming form. He'll be okay after he spends more time at it. Have fun.

Love my black dogs!!! wink.gif

Hitman,

Its funny you bring that up. My 8 month old lab was doing that ever since he started swimming early this summer. Last weekend it was hot out so I went for a swim with him and he followed me out. By the time we got about 50 yards out he began swimming like normal. Give it a try! jk I think he will get the hang of it!

I just went through this with my pup. He also was using the front leg splashing technique, I thought it was hilarious, the first 10 or 12 times he got in the water but eventually he got it. It just clicked for him a few weeks ago and now he is jumping off the dock and making long retrieves. I think he's doing well since English Setters aren't exactly known for their water ability.