• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki 140 4 Stroke

PKFisher

I've got a 2005 Suzuki 140 4stroke and love it. The only problem I have had is that it intermittently shuts down on me while trying to plane out. Almost like it automatically shuts itself down - the new technology has a mind of it's own. Doesn't happen very often, but often enough to irritate me. The dealer can't get it to replicate so it's getting to be very frustrating. Anyone own one of these and have any problems? Thanks!

I've only had it happen once on my 2006 Suzuki 60, it was a very hot day and it seemed like it vapor locked or something. The squeeze bubble felt like ther wasn't any pressure, so I pumped it a couple times, started right up and I haven't had a problem since.

I did read last year on a forum where guys with a similar sized Suzuki as yours were having the same sort of problem, running wide open over a long distance and it would shut down, so there is some history there. Keep searching for info. Good luck.

My Suzuki 140 has done this twice, alarm sounding and overheat light on. Both times I was just leaving a very weedy bay. Lifted the motor up and lower unit was covered in weeds. Removed the weeds and problem was solved.

PKFisher- if this is similar to your issue it may just be a loose battery connection. This was on an 04.

"I was out yesterday in my boat for the first time in a few weeks. I have a four stroke motor (suzuki DF 140) and when I hit wide open throttle, the motor would have an intermitent power loss and then it would go back to full power and then lose power again and so on. Once the motor even completely shut off while running at about 5000 RPM. I ran it for about five minutes at full power and then it seemed to run out of the problem. It never happend again for the rest of the day."

I have the exact motor in an '04 and this has happened once to me. Hit the throttle and right as I was about on plane, it died - no alarms sounding. I squeezed the primer bulb a couple of times and it wasn't firm at all. I thought maybe the motor was just gas starved cuz it started back up after a few more squeezes on the bulb.

This happened around the same time that I was having RPM/power problems at WOT. Motor would slow, then speed up and repeat. That turned out to be a spark plug issue. Since I put in new plugs, I haven't experienced either problem and it's been a great runner for me.

Mine doesn't overheat and no alarms sound when this happens. It also seems like the primer bulb is empty, but I've had them replace everything that has to do with the gas line and still got the problem. I'll try the spark plugs and battery connection. Thanks for all the insight. I'll be up on Winnie for a week the first week of August and give it a good run to test out theories.

Quote:

It also seems like the primer bulb is empty, but I've had them replace everything that has to do with the gas line and still got the problem.

Have you tried having someone else drive this boat (presuming it's repeatable) and you pumping the primer bulb when this happens to see if it picks up?

It almost sounds like a fuel pump problem - you said that they've replaced everything that has to do with the gas line - is that just up to where it connects to the motor?

One other possibility that they may have already checked is a sticky anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank.. but I would anticipate that you'd notice a similar problem at low idle if that were the case.

marine_man

Marine Man, The problem is that is isn't repeatable( I spent 2 hrs on the water with a tech last week and the problem was a no-show). If someone is standing in the back of the boat they'd be thrown to the front when this happens - can't predict it. Good call on the anti-siphon valve but they've already replaced that too. confused.gif

This season, on really hot days (90+ degrees) my Merc 175 EFI has died like this on two occasions. It is a fuel issue. My primer bulb is newer too, but for some reason on those hot days vapor lock must set in and the bulb is soft. I pump the bulb and then the motor starts up and worked fine from there on out. Let motor sit a couple hours, take off and it dies at full throttle... crazy.gif

It is odd. Never had it happen before.

My 2005 140 Johnson 4 stk (same as Suzuki) has done the same thing 2 times. Seems to be while running WOT trimmed up all the way. Has happened on very cold day and a warm day. I never really thought that much about it. I just thought maybe there was air in the gas line or something????? confused.gif

Matt

Does it shut down completely or does it lose power? My 2005 140 Suzuki had it's first problem last week when it shut down completely 2 feet from getting on the trailer. It would not turn over or function any of the guages, just completly dead. It turned out to be a wire connection inside the motor that had become disconnected from engine vibration. Check all the electrical connectors for a good solid connection, maybe something looks tight but is just not making good contact. Hope this helps.

I've owned this engine and had the exact same thing happen. I'd run wide open, arrive at my fishing spot, and shut it off right away, sometimes b4 the boat stopped moving.

Here's the fix... Let the motor idle for a few minutes b4 shutting it down. It's that simple. The fuel inside the engine cowling heats up and vaporizes. By letting it idle for a few minutes, it cools the fuel rail down. When you don't let it idle it builds up heat. After doing this I've never experienced the symptom again. I hope this takes care of it for you guys.