• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasants or Chukkars

I bought some pheasants last weekend at Oakwood Game Farm in Princeton. Their birds have all been pretty good flyers. They can show you how to plant the birds if you haven't before. I don't think they have any chukars for sale right now.

I believe you can also buy some from the Horse & Hunt club in Prior Lake. I think they have Pheasants, Chukars, and pigeons.

They both have websites.

I would go with the chukar, cheaper and they fly better. I would buy the birds from some one who sells to the game farms. I have some numbers if interested. Also, I use quail, I have a callback pen and can reuse the birds over and over. I get the quail for about $3 a bird. I am using them for a pointer, if you are using these birds for a flushing dog, then I would go with the chukar, either way your dog may catch some sense they are pen raised. Any other questions about the callback pen let me know.

You can get a free permit from the DNR that will allow you to shoot pen raised birds on any DNR administered lands. They must be marked with a ribbon on a leg or spray paint to distinguish them from a wild bird. It'll take anywhere from 7-14 days to get once you mail it in. You must have the permit with you and I would hang on to the receipt from the game farm as additional proof they are pen raised. Otherwise normal guidelines for hunting must be met. I'm not sure if the form is on the DNR HSOforum but I believe you can call or email them to get a copy. I think I emailed them.

Actually you cannot hunt live birds on public land with this permit. It must be done one private land. You can hunt on public land with blanks land with this permit though.

In regards to the permit I was told the following:

Phone call to DNR - private land only.

Email to DNR - OK for public land use.

This is lovely. I sent a follow up email asking for verification.

I just called the office for the Carlos Avery WMA. You are NOT allowed to release any species in the WMA there. That includes chukar, pigeons, pheasants....etc. Something to do with how it's funded or managed or something.

Edit: To add to this....there are DNR administered lands that do allow the release of birds and the use of firearm with a training permit. My recommendation is to call on any of the ones you are interested in to see if they allow it. Also check with the forestry offices of you are interested in training on state forest land.....they may allow it from what I have heard, but have not verified. I need to make some more calls.

I finally got my reply. If I understand it properly you can release birds on State Forest Land but not WMA's with the exception of Four Brooks up my Milaca, MN. I think you may need to specify the State Forest on the Permit. You can release birds at Four Brooks but there are some restrictions. I believe you need to be a member of a dog club, NAVHDA, etc. I think if you email the DNR with specifics about public versus private land they'll give you the same information they gave me.

Quote:

I finally got my reply. If I understand it properly you can release birds on State Forest Land but not WMA's with the exception of Four Brooks up my Milaca, MN. I think you may need to specify the State Forest on the Permit. You can release birds at Four Brooks but there are some restrictions. I believe you need to be a member of a dog club, NAVHDA, etc. I think if you email the DNR with specifics about public versus private land they'll give you the same information they gave me.

This is correct as far as my understanding also. I am waiting to hear back from a Sand Dunes State Forest rep to find out what they have to say on if it's possible there and if any special permits are required.

As far as the Four Brooks area you do need to be part of a club is my understanding. I don't know if that allows any time access. The DNR in Cambridge told me it was public land but the club I contacted said you need to be part of the club to use the land.

Here is the response from the NAVHDA:

"The Minnesota Chapter of NAVHDA does have an interest in the Four Brooks WMA, but only as a member of the Minneosta Federation of Field Trial Clubs. Our contact for the details is Bill at xxx-xxx-xxxx. You can learn more about MFFTC by going to their site. But in short and to you main questions, you need to be a members of one of the clubs that is a member of the MFFTC and have a premit to train at Four Brooks, Bill can help you on both points."

I have the contact info if anyone wants it.