• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline backing

icemac33

If I am using fireline on a small spool, I don't bother with the mono backing, I just adhere the line with a piece of small tape. Other wise, any mono will do. The larger pound test you use, the less line to waste.

I've used the tape, and that works fine. I've used the mono, and that works fine.

Here's the thing, if you're talking about a baitcaster. I use Ambassadeur 5500 and 6500s. And the fireline I like in the 25 or 50 lb test only comes in about 125 yard spools. So I back that reel with cheap heavy dacron braided to within 125 yards of the spool, then tie a blood knot and spool the fireline. I've used mono, but the old braided dacron will basically never break down, and if you per chance get some fish so big it's like a mythical sea monster and peels off all your fireline, if you've backed with dacron instead of mono, you never need worry that your backing has "rotted."

On an average-sized spinning reel, that's not an issue, and I just use the tape trick and spool the whole thing with fireline.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-03-2002).]