• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about night shooting

Was wondering if there was a specific filter that will eliminate the errant reflection "balls" of light above street lights? I took these in a small town near us while my wife was shopping. Just fooling around for practice. Any advise appreciated.

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

Yeah, I'm with Dan. Lens flare.

Even if a hood isn't included in the purchase price of a lens, I buy one and use it (case in point, Canon 100mm macro). Aside from helping protect the lens from the elements, you never know when you're going to be pointing into a light for an image.

Of course, there are time when lens flare is your friend. I shot a bunch of nighttime outdoor band photography with Canon's 85mm f1.2L, and the flare from the red and blue lights made conentric circles that framed the performers.

Often, what's good and what's bad depends on what you're after.