• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basic Sports Settings?

The bad boy 70-200 2.8L came today. Whata beast! A tripod may be next... smile.gif

Anyway, Ive been trying to figure out the basic camera funtions, how to set them, figure out what works and what doesn't, the relationship between aperature, shutter speed, ISO, etc. It's sinking in...slowly. It looks like AI Servo could be the best focusing option. I'll start with 3fps and set the shutter priority for 1/1000 and faster when I can. What I'm not sure of is the type of metering to use - center weight?? When I set the shutter speed does the camera do the rest? Do I have to choose the ISO when I choose the shutter speed or does the camera do it? Any help is appreciated. If I get flustered I can always use auto grin.gif -right???

Assuming you're talking outdoor sports, here's what I do.

1. iso400

2. Av mode, aperture wide open lets the shutter speed take care of itself, and sunny or cloudy alike you'll always have enough light for fast shutter speeds at iso400 and f2.8. Av mode means when you spin the dial, you're selecting aperture and the shutter speed changes as a result. In Tv mode, you're setting shutter speed, with aperture following along. I rarely use Tv mode because if you're not attentive, you can spin the dial so far that the shutter speed is too fast for the available light at the widest aperture, which results in underexposed images.

3. Al servo, center focus point.

4. High speed burst. In sports, that's a given. The faster your burst rate, the more likely you'll capture just the perfect moment. When I rip off a long burst of a sports move, there's always ONE in the big pack that's significantly better than the others, and that's why you should use your fastest burst rate.

5. Evaluative metering works fine for most outdoor non-snow sports. The exception to that is bright white uniforms, and then I go to center-weighted metering.

If you get totally lost, set it on P and shoot away. grin.gif

In addition to what Steve said. In Av mode you are setting aperture. You want to keep your shutter speeds up as a general setting above 1/1000s, if its baseball I like 1/3500s or higher preferably 1/8000s. So since you have set f2.8 on the aperture if the light starts to fall some YOU need to change your ISO to keep your shutter speeds up.

As an example you are shooting away in the evening and you look at your camera and notice that the shutter speeds have fallen under 1/1000s. You are shooting wide open already so the only thing you can do to change that speed to a higher value is to up your ISO. If you were at ISO 400 go to ISO 500 or 640 or 800, whatever it takes to get your shutter speed back up. Start there and try it out and then ask back here if you have more questions.

Dan

Another thing too Dirk is that dang manual. I have mine sitting in the remote rack to read and re-read while I'm at leisure. Kind of like reading War and Peace, but not quite as long. grin.gif Have fun.