• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireworks from Blaine Blazin 4th

Here are the shots I got from the Blaine Blazin 4th celebration. I shot these with a digital rebel and the 70-200 F4L. I was actually too close to the launch site for that lens. I shot about 265 images of the fireworks. I was slightly disappointed in the results compared to what I got a couple years ago in the same spot. A tip for those who would like to shoot pyrotechnics, don't focus your lens to infinity before you leave the house and forget to adjust when you start shooting. I will also post some of them to see the difference.

ISO was 100 and most shots were at F4, with a few at F8. Shutter speed was usually 4 seconds at F4 and 6 seconds at F8.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

As a body of work, I think the second batch stands up better, but both have their bright spots. grin.gif

The image mid way through the first bunch looks like flower petals cast into the sky, and the first image of the second bunch reminds me of a giant bird flying through your frame. The secondto-last image in the second bunch also makes a pretty statement. I think a tighter crop on the "bird" image would make it snap more.

The reason I posted the second bunch is I feel those turned out better myself. I completely forgot to adjust the focus on the ones I shot a week ago. I don't know what I was thinking. It seems like it would be easy to shoot fireworks, but all the setting have to be spot on to get a beautiful image. The ones in the second batch were in focus and the trails and whisps were sharp. I plan to try repeating with good results from the Aquatennial in Minneapolis in a couple weeks. If all goes well, I will post some more on here. I think they will be great with the skyline in the background.

Yep, sounds like a good plan.

If I can offer a bit of help in advance, I'd take some test shots of the skyline before the fireworks start.

You'll want the skyline and the fireworks both exposed as well as possible, so if you figure out settings in advance for the skyline, you can start with those settings as the fireworks begin, knowing the skyline will be right and evaluating the exposure of the fireworks themselves on the back of the camera as you shoot.

For example, if you think on past experience you'll want 2 second exposures to get the fireworks right, you can adujst shutter speed, aperture and iso so the skyline is just right at a 2 second exposure.

Steve,

The second to last image in the second bunch was a pair of smiley faces. They were really cool to see and the photo turned out awesome I thought. If you look at it closely, you can see the smiley. smile.gif

Tom