• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

late duck hatch

icehousebob

Two days ago, I looked out on the pond early in the morning and there was a newly hatched batch of Wood Ducks. All the earlier duck and goose hatches have already feathered out. How common is it to have such late ducks? Do you think there is enough summer left for them to mature before migration?

Many duck (and other bird species) will re-clutch if depredation or some other factor claims the first brood. The new brood will be at a disadvantage when it comes to maturation before migration, but some from late clutches usually survive.

Thanks, Steve. The Woodie hen is taking good care of them little ones and they're feeding like there's no tomorrow. When they rest, there's a few other hens that gather around like aunties. And yesterday I saw a brand new batch of Mallards. I hope we get a late fall.

Correction, I was just eyeballing the pond and I just saw another Mallard hen with six young ones. There must have been a great deal of renesting this year. Anyone else seeing any numbers of late ducks?