• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Cameras, Which one's the best

Badfordman,
Welcome to the forum. I use an OVS 500 underwater camera. It has a push button rotational camera that allows you to change the direction the camera is facing by the push of a button. It also comes with both regular and infrared lights. The whole unit will fit into a small carrying case that fits nicely on your sled or in the truck. I've used it for about a year and I love it. I've also used Aqua-Views, they are really nice too. There is a new Atlantis underwater camera that is good too. I would test them out before you buy one. Ask around at local retailers. A big investment but worth it.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-20-2002).]

I would like to get a camera, who makes the best one?
I have used the Aqua-vu mc2x, It seemed nice.
Is there one better?
Thanks.

------------------
Clam sleeper,Fishtrapp,5x8 hardside, 660 Grizz

Badfordman,

I do some selling for Aqua-Vu cameras at Cabela's during promotional weekends, so I can answer some questions about them. I dont know a whole lot about other systems. I do know that one of the advantages of the Aqua-vu has is its water tight.. if you were to get it wet in rain or whatever, the system is fine.. most other camera have a t.v.type monito wich is better for viewing, but you cant get them wet at all!

THe MC2X is a great unit, the only thing you may like better is the SmartView, with the smartview you can tell which way the camera is pointing. With the MC2X you cant.. its just a guess...

If you have any other questions.. just post it here I will try and respond!

Best of luck with your purchase!

Ive got the aqua-vu jr. [edited out. Not waterproof at all. Every time the monitor gets wet from a splash of water or gets a little rain it takes couple days to dry out and work again. Have had to replace 2 cord+camera's because the cord splits where it goes into the camera.Know of several other people with the same problems. confused.gifmad.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-28-2002).]

I will second that! Stay away from the Auqua View. Im on my fourth unit. Ive used this last one about 10 times over the past year and bingo theres a short in the cord to the camera. Thankfully the store where I purchased it would exchange for me before, however, now that its a year old forget it.
Auqua View should step up to the plate on this one and exchange all of these defective units, I know three other people with the same problem.

Exudedude water tight uh first time i use mine thur hardwater camera filled with water [edited out]now I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND AQUA VU TO ANYONE.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-28-2002).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Geez boys, your supposed to put the camera in the water, not the monitor. grin.gif

On that note, you really should read the forum policy that you agreed to when you signed up.

We don't mind ya saying they're advertised as waterproof, but are not. But the name calling etc. is not acceptable.

The Aqua Vu has generally been regarded as a pretty good unit. If they're advertised as waterproof, I have a hard time believing they won't stand behind it and make sure you're taken care of when they spring a leak. Quality people run this company.

I don't recommend the mini- atlantis. I had one and brought it back soon after i purchased it. Camera resolution is absolutely terrible in clear water. Objects had to be no more than 4 feet away to see them.
I've also heard from various people to stay away from the Aqua view with the multi-color lights no becasue they don't work but because they work too well. The colored lights end up attracting plankton by the masses which ends up reflecting a glare back to the camera making it hard to see.

Fish On!

Stephen

Well in the spirit of fairness I contacted aqua view from thier web page. I e mailed my problem and 10 minutes later I had a service rep calling me. I will send my unit to them and post here the out come. I am pleasantly surprised at thier response thus far!

------------------
... Just stirrin the pot...

BIGTOES that would be great if you could let us know how it turns out.Maybe there is hope for the people whos warranty has run out,but have had repeated problems.

My question is a camera needed. I know it helps in seeing how you are jigging and the structure below, but with a good depth finder you can see that. Is these worth the money. I have a Jr. and I have only used it twice. I would like to hear from people who use cameras for some insite

Buzzard, Bigtoes, TimL...

I am very sorry the cameras that you got are having troubles. I have never had a problem with mine. Please contact the company and express your displeasure, I would be surprised that they would not try and help you out. Again, I am very sorry.

Fish-on The reason they went to the red green lights was simple. They found out that infra-red works great above water in a dark room, however, in water the signal is eaten up by particles very quickly. That is why they went to LED lights. It can like you say sometimes bring in micro stuff in to mess up your viewing. In my opinion thats not always a bad thing. Thats just telling me that the low end of the food chain is where I am fishing.

I hope everybody finds something that works for them. If you have found a good underwater unit please tell us about it, but lets keep the name calling and other stuff out of it...

Thanks!

Well I just got done sending Aqua-vu a email telling them all the problems ive had.And asked where i could get service work done here in canada.Guess well see if i hear anything back or see if there is any concern at all.Keep yah posted.

I just bought a OVS 500. It seems like a good unit. I thought the option of having IR lights or multi-color at the filck of a switch would be nice.
I hope I picked the best one.

------------------
Eat,sleep,fish.
Eat fish, wake up smellin fishy

Well i got ahold of aqua-vu today and good news.The jrs. had a problem so they are discontinued and they are letting me upgrade to a new z-series.have to pay the deference, 100-350 depending on what model i want.The people sounded very concerned and happy to help me out.Well see how the z's are and maybe my attitude toward aqua-vu's will change.Anybody have any comments on what model to get. Mc2x or the SV or the DT. Infrared lights again or the multi-colored light.

Buzzard, its all in what you want it for...

The MC2X has the led lights. If you are fishing at night, a huge plus. The infra red lights really dont show that far.. the led do... Does it scare fish.. Some nights I think it does.. Does it attract little micro things and mess it up? Sometimes, sometimes not? Most of the time in the dark you cant see great anyway.

The SV is kinda nice in that you can see which way the camera is pointing. other than that it has the LED lights also...NOT infra red... The DT is depth tech.. it will tell you via water pressure how deep the camera is.. In ice fishing situations I am not sure how much this will help you? It might tho... I have the MC2X and love it...