• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Console Turning Question

JDM

I had always been a tiller guy until I purchased the boat I have now, which is a side console. I have a 115 Merc Optimax on a 17 ft, 8 inch deep V aluminum boat. I really like the boat, but find it hard to manuever in comparison to a tiller boat, especially in tight places like boat harbors. I realize that it won't handle like a tiller, but can something be adjusted to increase the range the motor moves when I turn the wheel? Right now, it really seems limited. Please advise. Thanks.

Handling your boat from a side console should be no problem. Sounds to me like your steering needs adjustment. It might be binding someplace and not allowing the motor to swing as many degrees L.and R. as it should. Have it checked. crazy.giflaugh.gif

Your only going to be able turn the motor as far as the steering ram will allow. If it is not binding then that is as far as it will go.

I have noticed on my boat that I have to switch from FWD to REV to get it to turn on a dime. I have a 20' glass boat and I can get it to turn on a dime fairly easy but it took some practice. You won't be able to do this just by cranking the wheel to the right you have to use the throttle to help.

Mnfishman is correct, handling on a console is not same as a tiller boat.

That's why many like tillers, there's more boat control, compared to a console, but you have no windshield and different control at high speeds.

Also size of boat makes handling different, probably you had a smaller boat with tiller setup.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to try it tomorrow. To get this straight - you are already moving forward at a slow speed when you put it in reverse and turn the steering wheel? Do you find it helps to trim the motor up as well? It seems more responsive when I do.

I like to fish Mille Lacs and lately, crowded resort boat harbors are stressing me out much more than anything the lake is throwing at me. It would also be nice to turn tighter when I am backtrolling. Can it be adjusted as suggested? If so, can I do it myself, or is this something only an authorized tech should do?

Thanks!

A little practice and you will get the hang of it. Kepping the motor in the water will help you turn the best.

It wont ever turn as well as a tiller , but as some one else stated, a little forward, and backwards, while turning the wheel back and forth, giving it the right amount of gas, and you will be able to whip it around pretty tight!

Good luck!

One thing that will help when making tight turns is to turn the wheel while the boat is in neutral then put it into forward or reverse. When I am in a tight spot like a harbor, I will constantly be going in and out of neutral with each turn. Try it in open water and you'll be surprised at how tight you can make those turns.