• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Points

I posted in another topic that I had some problems with arrows pulling out of carp this past weekend. I've never had this problem before, but it sure is frustrating. Anyhow, here are the three types of tips that I have. I have mainly used tip #1 and this is the one I was using when I was having problems. What do you use? Which would you suggest? If it matters, it's a weedy bay that I normally shoot in.

Tip #1

tip001qz9.jpg

Tip #2

tip002mx7.jpg

Tip #3

tip003uw4.jpg

Ralph, I hear you about pull-offs being frustrating, They have yet to come up with the perfect point. I use the Muzzy carp points (first one) mainly, as do most people, they work better when you pinch the barbs in closer to the ferrule so they make a smaller entrance hole. The last time I was out I compared the white shaft/muzzy to the blue shaft/ Muzzy Stingray (similar to pic 2), Stingray holds extremely well and releases easily but too easily since fish can release themselves if they spin. I also shot the Predator shaft (aluminum over fiberglass) with a Muzzy carp tip, every fish I shot with it was completely penetrated and held. Trouble with that, the shaft can bend. Muzzy carbon mag shafts shoot straight but are lighter weight and just don't penetrate well enough to hold fish. Innerloc grapple points are supposed to be great for holding fish but expensive and you need to remove the tip to release fish so you tend to lose tips. A stiffer, heavier shaft with an easy releasing, secure holding head that's affordable doesn't seem to exist, at least I haven't found it.

I used to use a point called the Warhead. It's tough, and easy to remove fish from. I think 3 Rivers Archery has them, as does Sully's Bowfishing Stuff. I usually got good penetration with my 40# bow, and they never pulled out of the fish. I have also used the Muzzys with good results. I have never liked the Sting-a-ree points.

Ben

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=MZY1016/182.0.1934.1950.0.0.0

ok this is the best tip i have ever used. look at it closley and see the diffrence in it from a muzzy clasic. the black tip dosent release the barbs , you have to twist the barbs (like a stingray) but it has a lock washer on it and i havent lost a fish yet by having the fish spinn off. the barbs seem to me like they are bent out wider too and that just holds fish better to.