• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Has Red Ring Spots On Belly/groin Area

Powerstroke

I was going over my dog for ticks after a run in the field and I found he has 5 or 6 "spots" on his groin area. They are red. They have a very defined outer ring that is dark red, the inner area is red or pink and there is a small (Contact Us Please) of dark red in the center. They are mostly the size of a dime or slightly smaller. There are maybe 4 other spots that are much smaller like a pin head right nearby.

We just spent the weekend out near So. Dak and he ran non-stop in the fields and swam in the lake. He hasn't been scratching or otherwise paying mroe attention to the area. He is on heartgard and Frontline.

ANy thoughts? I will be going to the vet tomorrow unless I find out this is no big deal. He leaves for training this weekend and I hope it wouldn't keep him out of the kennel if he had a problem.

Click here for more information.

My dogs all get the same exact thing. I am convinced they are bug bites from laying in the grass. I have never brought any of my dogs to the vet for this as they cleared up in a matter of a week. It never seemed to bother them either.

I have been seeing a lot of pets with these lesions. The belief is that these are ant bites. The spot in the center is where the ant bites down and the outer red circle is where the ant spins around continually planting its stinger. They are typically found in the groin area where there is less hair. If they don't go away in the next 2-3 days, see your vet.

PrairieRoseGundogs.com - Click Here for Premium Gundogs

If we are talking about the same lesions, I have to disagree with these lesions being ringworm. Ringworm (misnomer since it is a fungal infection and has nothing to do with worms) typically leaves the area bald. The lesions that I have seen on at least 10-15 dogs in the last 2-3 weeks have not been bald. The other reason I know that these are not ringworm is that ringworm does not go away as quickly as these lesions have.

PrairieRoseGundogs.com - Click Here for Premium Gundogs

Just had my dog into the vet with the same sort of spots you guys are talking about. My vet told me that it was gnat bites and that they would go away on there own.

Payed4 is correct, they are gnat bites. You will notice round, dime size, red spots on the belly/groin areas of the dog. They will heal up and go away in a couple of days. Happens often this time of year.

Glad I checked in here tonight, I noticed yesterday that my shorthair has 4 of these round red spots on her tummy and was considering taking her to the vet to be checked out. These spots are a bit smaller than a dime and don't seem to bother her and after just checking her again tonight they have lightened up abit. The gnats sure seem to be a bit worse around here this year.

Quote:

I was going over my dog for ticks after a run in the field and I found he has 5 or 6 "spots" on his groin area. They are red. They have a very defined outer ring that is dark red, the inner area is red or pink and there is a small (Contact Us Please) of dark red in the center. They are mostly the size of a dime or slightly smaller.

The distinct red ring around the 'bite' area is a classic indication in humans of a 'bite' by a Blacklegged tick (deer tick), the Lyme Disease carrier. Have you had your dog tested for Lyme Disease, or vaccinated with the recently developed Lyme Disease vaccine?

Click here for more information.