• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Racing Clutch

Flash

I bought a sled and it has a racing clutch in it. I don't like the way it kind of jerks you when starting out. I was wondering if anyone knows what it would cost approximately to put in a regular clutch. I'm not looking for bids, just an approximate cost.

It really depends on what make the sled is. Cat and Polaris clutches seem to go cheaper then others. A new clutch could set you back about $700 however there are several used clutches out there. Is yours a racing clutch or just a clutch kit? If it's a kit, you can easily just go back to stock. You say it jerks when you take off, is your belt bad? Feel free to e-mail me for help: [email protected]

My bet would be that it is using notched weights in the primary; which will cause a "jerk" on the initial engagement. The notches allow for a higher initial rpm to be held without the clutch engaging, thus giving it a better launch on the holeshot without having to use too heavy of a weight for the rest of the pull or rpm range.

What do you ride? Not really such a thing as a "racing clutch" your helix angle might be to much, your primary spring controls engagement and could be to stiff. (are your rpms high before take off). Your secondary spring could be old or in the wrong hole. Good clutching is an art. you don't need to buy a new clutch or a kit. I would start by putting everything back to stock. Have you messed with your gearing that would also change the clutching?

Yep...going to know what sled you have to give better advice. Clutching is an art that can be very though to get precise as one thing affects many other things and it is endless on what can be changed. Pin weights, helix angles, spring forces, spring settings (holes), clicker settings, belt deflection...and on and on.

You best bet is to either go back to the factory setup (helix, springs, weight pins) or if it's a newer sled check out some forums dedicated to that particular make and purchase a proven clutch kit. I don't know what kits are out there for older sleds. A decent kit can run around $300-$400.

If you need fairly high RPM's (4000+) to get the sled to move and it's jerking you pretty good when it engages than as 2thepointsetters mentioned it could just be the primary spring.

If that is that case the a cheap option to try would be to find a primary spring with the same finishing force and a lower initial force than the once you have now. Spring forces are usually specified by say 230/300. If your is a 230/300 you could try a 190/300 or 200/300. That should lower your engagement RPM's making it not jerk as much. If you don't know how to tear down and clean a clutch if might cost more to have someone remove and do this for you. Otherwise springs are pretty cheap.

just put the stock primary spring back in the clutch and it will be fine. the previous owner raised the engagement with a stiffer spring to get more of a "jump" off the line. double check the primary's weights are stock too.

you don't have a racing clutch in your sled. it's just a stock clutch that has been re calibrated to provide more jump off the line.