• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to the Apostle Islands the weekend before Memorial Day. I was wondering if any of you have fished there that time of year and could give me a few ideas??? Locations, methods, and lures????? I am farmiliar with outriggers, planer boards and downriggers. however the locations (in the islands vs. the bay) and depths I am not sure on. Also, is it more a stickbait, spoon, or flasher/squid bite? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks guys!

Fowl

Lots of places and options for you to fish this time of year... For both species you specifically mentioned, I would say your best bet would be the south channel (between Madeline and Long Island).. Should still be lots of coho around there and a chance at some rogue schools of kings as well... Lakers too will still be using this area...

In the morning, look off the first available break near the channel.. 30FOW or so.. Run a mix of surface lures, spoons off dispys or slide divers, and spoons off riggers... As morning progresses or your not on any fish, slide out deeper and deeper until you contact fish. The main channel going south from the south channel towards Ashland and Washburn will be the same ball game as well...

From here, you can slide out east as well, to an area called the "flats", basically just a big flat featureless area west of the fish refuge (be sure to always be aware of where this refuge line is, you do not want to end up in it, tickets will be wrote). Lakers are caught here consistantly throughout the year.. Run bottom with riggers with a combo of spoons and dodger/spin&glow or squids out there... Key in on the 90 to 100 FOW depths...

Can run some lures up high there as well for other species.. But they will be more limited then the other areas I listed...

Good info has always Jim. I have the 17th -28th off from work and plan to do a bunch of fishing. I'd like to get over and do some more fishing with you if your looking for a partner. I'll get a hold of you.

Really depends on what way the wind is blowing.. and how big of a boat your running...

West winds are manageable along the mainland shores... East or NE winds can be tricky... Tucking into Basswood or Madeline will be doable with those winds..

Suggestion would be to try and make it out early enough, before the wind picks up.. To get to spots that will be in the lee, then fish until the winds die in the evening to motor back to harbor... Most days this will work.. But always and I mean always keep updated on the weather... Into the islands can be totally different then south of Madeline and so on...