• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop for Yamaha F115

zachp

I have a turning point hustler with a pitch of 19 on right now and I can only get 4300 to 4400 rpms at full throttle...The yamaha prop that came with the motor also has a pitch of 19...The boat is a Lund Angler 1700...Should I be going up in pitch to get the 5500 rpms?

First off, are you getting this RPM with the motor trimmed out to the optimum running location? Even with your 19 pitch prop your RPM's seem pretty low to me for your rig.

Regardless, to increase RPM's you need to go down in Pitch. You'll also loose MPH.

marine_man

I tried it at different settings and 4400 rpm @ 38 mph was the best I could get, but there was two people in the boat. I'm going to put the yamaha prop on and see what happens.

I have the the explorer with the same motor. I get around 5800-5900 with the white Stock aluminum. I just purchased this spring a Rapture 17p SS on hsolist and it is the perfect prop for my rig. I now get 5800. Your RPMs are way too low. Why did you switch to a turning point? I think if you are going aluminum Yamaha and Merc props are by far superior to other aluminums. I honestly would look at a SS either the Black SS or something simular in 19p or something more aggressive like a Rapture in 17p. However if you are concerned about rocks etc... and want to stay with the Aluminum than either go Yamaha white or a Merc Quicksilver.

4300-4400 rpm is way too low. A 17P SS prop like the Rapture would work good. By going to a 17P you should not lose speed because you will be turning more rpm than you are with your 19P at WOT. You will get better performance all around with the 17P SS prop.

I just bought the boat and it came with the hustler on it, the white aluminum yammy prop was the spare. I was planning on going out this past weekend and tinker with it more to make sure my findings were correct, but the weather held me back. The day i noticed it lacking RPM's was the first day I had it at wot and it was also starting to rain so i didn't want to stay out on the lake much longer and experiment. I'm out of town for work now for a couple weeks so I won't be able to check it out until the end of may. What kind of issues could this be? I'll try to get a hold of the guy I bought from and see what he has to say about it.

I had serious problems with my F115, 3 dealers, 3 different answers, all over $1200 to $1500+ to fix, I put it on hold until I could get a straight answer. Turned out to be 2 clogged injectors and a dirty fuel delivery system. Cost, $266.25, they just cleaned everything, I was lucky to get 3400 R's before they cleaned it. Now it's back up to it's normal 5800 RPM with a 4 blade 18P Stainless. My guess, a clogged injector. Have em cleaned, change the fuel filter and Rock On.

Quote:

I had serious problems with my F115, 3 dealers, 3 different answers, all over $1200 to $1500+ to fix, I put it on hold until I could get a straight answer. Turned out to be 2 clogged injectors and a dirty fuel delivery system. Cost, $266.25, they just cleaned everything, I was lucky to get 3400 R's before they cleaned it. Now it's back up to it's normal 5800 RPM with a 4 blade 18P Stainless. My guess, a clogged injector. Have em cleaned, change the fuel filter and Rock On.

MSRiverdog has a good point. You could have a dirty fuel system thats hurting your performance. To be sure it would be best to have the injectors cleaned and the fuel filter replaced. It would also be a good idea to put an external filter in the fuel line to help trap dirt before it gets to the motor. All my boats have an external fuel filter in the line before the motor. I like the clear plastic filters so I can monitor the filter condition and see fuel flow. I would do these things before trying different props. A stainless prop however is a huge improvement over aluminum and is well worth the money IMO.

I recieved some info from the guy I bought the boat from...The prop is actually a 21p, I'm not sure if he had it repitched at a prop shop or got a different box with the prop because the box says 19p. The rpm gauge reads 300 rpm's short(checked at dealer), and optimum speed and max rpms is recieved with the motor trimmed to "full", I never moved it too much from the midway mark on the trim gauge, looks like I should get up closer to or above that 5000 rpm mark now. I am still planning on dropping to a 17p stainless, right now i'm thinking about a rapture but am open to any recommendations. Anyone use the cupped stainless props?

I will also check into getting the lines/injectors cleaned out and installing the clear fuel filter, couldn't hurt any.

Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:

I recieved some info from the guy I bought the boat from...The prop is actually a 21p, I'm not sure if he had it repitched at a prop shop or got a different box with the prop because the box says 19p. The rpm gauge reads 300 rpm's short(checked at dealer), and optimum speed and max rpms is recieved with the motor trimmed to "full", I never moved it too much from the midway mark on the trim gauge, looks like I should get up closer to or above that 5000 rpm mark now. I am still planning on dropping to a 17p stainless, right now i'm thinking about a rapture but am open to any recommendations. Anyone use the cupped stainless props?

I will also check into getting the lines/injectors cleaned out and installing the clear fuel filter, couldn't hurt any.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a 21P Rapture on my 17 Mr. Pike/Yamaha 130 2-stroke and it fits my boat well. For your set-up a 21P prop is too much prop. My Rapture has some "Cup" to it as do other S.S. props. Compare a stainless prop side by side with a aluminum and you can see the huge difference in blade design between the two. Also the prop should have a number stamped somewhere on the prop to indicate Dia and Pitch, whether being a prop companies number or the actual pitch and diameter numbers.

Hey Zac, ask the pros, This is from the Lund HSOforum:

Q: What kind of prop do you recommend for my particular boat?

A: Props differ from boat to boat, and motor to motor. Our engineering department spends a lot of time testing our boats with different motors and props, and can give you the best match for your particular situation. Call (218)-385-2235 and ask for the engineering department. They will be happy to assist you.

Thanks 58...I gave them a call and they tested the 1700 angler ss with a 115 yamaha with the 19p pro series prop and got 44 to 48 mph, but had no records of how many rpm's it was turning.