• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

De La Joya vs. Mayweather Jr.

beanie

I've always liked Del La Hoya, right from the start and he has always been able to get it done, but he hasn't been an active fighter (Why should he be at this point?) and it seems that when the good fighters, especially the older fighters, take a long lay-off and come back against another good active fighter, they lose.

I like Oscar, but Mayweather is a good fighter with alot of skills and I expect that he will win the fight.....but, but, I have been calling just about everything wrong as of late, everything from American Idol winners and losers, to fighters in the UFC, so hopefully I got this one wrong to!

How many times does Oscar gotta get beat in big fights till people realize he's just not that good. Mayweather will knock lil' oscar out whenever he feels like it. I don't think this fight will be all that competitive.

tongue.gifSomeone on this thread is gonna look foolish 2morrow grin.gif

Peat...I beg to differ with you...Oscar was about as good as it gets, for his time, but his time came and went...just like all the fighters before him, just like Mayweathers will.

He is still better then probably 97% of the fighters in his weight class, but all it takes is just that one on a given night and Mayweather happened to be the one.

I think that over the course of his career Oscar has only lost a few fights and I think he may have avenged 1 or 2 of those?

At any rate, once the fighters get to the top, the younger, or more active fighters in the top rankings, always seem to win over the fighters that are inactive and comming off of long lay offs.

But when the smoke all cleared away, they said he made something like 25 million bucks...seems worth it to me?

Grebe, you're right, Oscar's got the tools. I quit being an Oscar fan when he put on his track shoes in the last 3 rounds of the Trinidad fight. The pretty-boy image he cultivated as well as his singing career did not endear him to me either. Oscar has lost 5 fights and no, he has not avenged any of his losses. He's lost more of his major marquee fights than he has won. I always wondered if he had put off the other things til after his fighting career just how good he would have been.I'm actually quite surprised Mayweather did not knock him out, but he's moved up quite a few weight classes now and maybe his power is somewhat diminished.Sadly, boxing is dying a death of it's own making. There are so few fights/fighters that are worth watching these days. frown.gif I'd much rather watch MMA now.

Really? Are you sure of that? I was positive (At least I thought I was?) he had beaten one or two of the fighters that had beaten him previously?

I used to be so up on the boxing stuff, but year after year, stuff gets in the way. Although I still watch some of it, I don't watch all the matches like I used to.

Now I watch the MMA stuff. If those fighters aren't evenly matched, it's over with quickly and you don't have to sit through one boring round after another.

There are a few now and then that are pretty tactical and slow, but for the most part, they move right along.

Also, unlike boxing, they don't put a guy in there with a record like 10 wins, 26 losses, with a guy that is 30-0.

The fight was fantastic and close. Mayweather is retireing (or so he says) to spend more time with his family. I would like to see a rematch though, one of the best fights I've seen in a while...