• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New trailer - side load or rear load?

Slowfinger

I've been looking at this side load trailer when someone mentioned that they're not as convenient as the rear loading trailers. I've heard that they make it tricky in parking lots and single lane roads needing the extra room on the side. Any thoughts on it? Thanks!

I have an aluma Trailer that is a 7x8, it comes with 2 ramps and i can load them on the side or rear. Check them out. Its nice to have options. Not to mention the wheels are bigger than the newmans.

Situations like you described wasn't my concern. After owning a 6X8 side loader, however, I'd opt for a rear loader simply because when you add accessories that make your ATV longer (extended rear rack, winch roller fairlead, etc) most side ramps will not be able to flip up and lock into place without hitting the ATV. I've removed my side ramps and use separate ramps top load 'em sideways. When the machines were stock, I loved the side loader.

I have a 7'x 8' aluminum w/wood deck made by Rance that is both a side load or a rear load. One ATV on rear load or two on side load. Many tie down spots for other uses when not hauling my ATV. 10" tire size is nice. With side load you're not able to drive on/off just anywhere that is true. I like this trailer because of the versatility.

I prefer the rear load as it is easier when the boat landings and trail parking are full up, rather than having to leave 10+ feet of space between you and the next guy just to get your machines off the trailer. I went with a 4x14 from newmans. It works great for 2 wheelers or a wheeler and a portable shack.

I ended up with a 8x8 rear loader. It's not the one I wanted but will do the trick. Hate the way the slide-in ramp raddles though....anyone have any tips on securing it better?