• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What # line

fishing tech

2# should be fine, no need to go higher than 4. i cant imagine youre going to be pulling them out of any heavy weedage right now. either way, i pretty much use 4# year round for pannies.

With all the different ways to fish Pannies this time of year it's hard to narrow it down to just one line. Here are a few lines for situations I use...

Heavy cover bobber fishing- 4 to 6lb mono (for brand just pick what you're comfortable with)

Heavy cover casting-2lb or 3lb Fireline Crystal

Jigging vertical-3lb Micro Ice or 2lb Fireline Crystal for light biters.

Casting open water- don't be afraid. Just stick with a line you're comfortable with. Larger diameter lines will allow the bait to fall slower. Flourocarbon lines sink. Superlines float. Smaller diameter mono and Superlines cast easier (man, this can be confusing crazy.gif).

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

yeah, a definite possibility. i mostly fish pannies and i am trying for cats more this year. will also fish northerns and rarely some eyes. just got a boat that im picking up tomorrow. a large bday present to myself. actually you could say it is from the insurance co. after i crashed my car.

I fish from shore 99% of the time with a spinning reel. I like the super thin and limp braids for casting distance and ease of use on a spinning reel. I use a 10# braid so that the line fits on to the spool ok too.

my 2 cents.

I think it is mostly a matter of casting. You can't cast a 1/32OZ jig with 12lb XT without a beach ball size bobber. A ultra light or light action rod 4lb or less line and your good to go. You want your rod to load up when casting and your line to come off the reel with as little drag as possible. Balanced gear that is the name of the game. Once you have it right, the rest is candy.

good day muddog, the other nite i was throwing a 1/32 jig with 8lb line about 25 ft w/o no probs, popped a few crappies and a huge large 6lb bucket head near the rock piles. i went all stright white, fished it very slowly.

If you're casting, it depends on your target whether you need 15 feet distance or 50 feet of distance. You go with 1-2 lbs test line you'd probably shouldn't be whipping it really hard. I've seen some peeps whip their lure so hard their line broke, but they were probably using a 1/4oz or 3/8oz weight...

Not always about how many lbs test line, you have to really look a line diameter. Thicker is more weight.

Mostly 4lb test is good if you've good equipment. I generally stick with 6lb and sometimes 8lb for less refined equipment.

i use a fenwick ultralite 5' rod with 6lb line,that rod looks like more like a mircolite instead of a ultralite, never had probs with it, thats how i nailed a 31" walleye last sept 7th at 10:45 am the big mama is now on the wall first one ever, basicly i am big fan of lite equipment, depends on the lake and whats in it.