• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki Outboard four stroke, the good,bad, and the ugly.

jgeatz

Might purchase a boat with a 60 hp Suzuki four stroke on it was wondering if I could get some feed back on this motor. The boat I have now is a honda four stroke and I like it alot, but need to upgrade boats and this is on the new one. Don't know much about the Suzuki, is it comparable to the honda.

Check out Yahamas. Their 60 hp is 122 lbs lighter! Yamaha 237 lbs vs. Suzuki 359 lbs. If you are going with a tiller Yamaha has a really nice handle set-up. It has gear shift, trim and their variable trolling RPM switch right up front where you can reach it.

Beware of Suzuki's HSOforum for comparing motors. They have older models of other brands compared to their new models. The 75 hp Yamaha 4-stroke that they compare to the 70 hp Suzuki 4-stroke is an '04 model. 75 hp Yamaha 4-strokes have been EFI since '05 and Suzuki has the Yahama listed as being carburated.

the motor sits on a 1650 crestliner sport angler which has a max hp of 90. Wonder if that 60 will be enough power. the boat has a full windshield and a 24 volt trolling motor in the front of it. Might make the guy let me take it out on the water to see what it has for power, if it doesn't hit thirty I'm not buying it anyway.

It is unlikely that boat is going to hit 30 with that motor, so why not save the guy the bother of setting you up for a test run. If top speed is your most important feature go look for another boat. And the Suzuki's are very well made, very dependable outboards that are used all over the world. cool.gif

Read the Equipment Section for Yamaha tiller problems, there's a couple of threads.

Boat will be way underpowered if you put it on a full windshield, it will reach 30 max empty.

Quote:

Read the Equipment Section for Yamaha tiller problems, there's a couple of threads.

There is one thread about the steering friction mechanism. That is about it for the tillers. It is what it is and doesn't effect the performance of the motor. I would still rather have a motor that is the same hp and only 66% of the weight.

The Suzuki 60 is a great motor. There really isn't a better motor in that class. The 60 is the same block as the 70. Thus being heavier than the 60 Yamaha. Bigger displacement equals more weight. There will be more torque with the Suzuki than the others. This is a no brainer. I currently own a Yamaha 115 and love the engine. With that said. I think the DF60 from suzuki is one of the top engines if not The top engine in that class! Good luck with the new boat.

DF60 owner here, I have it on a Navigator 165 tiller. Max hp for this boat, and I get a tad over 30 mph. The Suzuki's are hard to prop from what I've seen on the message boards, I'm going to try a different pitch when I pick up a spare, might be able to get a couple more mph. Yes, it's a heavy pig, but if that boat is built to hang a 90hp off the back, it can sure handle the DF60. And like they say; there's no replacement for displacement. cool.gif

Take it out for a test spin, what do you have to lose? It just might hit 30 mph. But I think it's tad underpowered.

You could probably get the same boat with a 75 or 90 Yamaha 2-stroke Carb motor for the same price as a boat with a 60 4-stroke. The bigger 2-stroke will give you better performance and less weight than a smaller 2-stroke. 4-strokes are overpriced and way too heavy no matter who makes them. 60hp is underpowered IMO opinion, however it will move the boat and be good enough for fishing on smaller lakes.