• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mercury big foot motor

The bigfoot motors have a different (larger) gear case (lower unit) than a standard motor. I believe a standard 60hp Merc will run a 14p prop where the 60hp bigfoot will run a 19p prop turning the same rpm's.

my Crestliner came with a 40 bigfoot. Like stated, it is designed for high thrust applications such as pontoons. It will have a larger, heavy duty gearcase with a higher gear ratio, ( 2.6:1 bigfoot, vs. 2.0:1 non bigfoot ) and a larger diameter prop ( 13.25" bigfoot vs. 10" non bigfoot ). A few pounds heavier. They tend to draft a little deeper. Keep that in mind in very shallow water or when trailering. As far as the powerhead, no real difference there.

Don

Yes, everyone is correct.

The big foot is made to PUSH. The motor itself is geared alot different, and the lower unit is different along with the prop being twice the size.

If you were to put this motor on the back of a fishing boat, the motor would do a horrible job. Its not built for top speed, its built to push.

Great motors for Pontoons. grin.gif

Quote:

Yes, everyone is correct.

The big foot is made to PUSH. The motor itself is geared alot different, and the lower unit is different along with the prop being twice the size.

If you were to put this motor on the back of a fishing boat, the motor would do a horrible job. Its not built for top speed, its built to push.

Great motors for Pontoons.
grin.gif

We have one on a Alumacraft Dominator 165 CS and it pushes the boat just a little bit better than horrible. My uncle is a service rep. for Mercury and he is the one that recommended this engine for our boat. It pops it right up on plane and tops out at 37mph (on the gauge, don't know GPS speed). Can't catch many fish at 37mph though grin.gif. My neighbor has a 25hp bigfoot on a little aluminum fishing boat and it scoots along just fine. Have you seen one in action on a fishing boat?

Can't say horrible about mine. Sweet motor in my opinion. Smooth , quiet 4 stroke, pushes my 16.5' Crestliner fishing boat at 37 mph. Nothing about it being a bigfoot motor has been an issue.

Don

It for sure wouldn't be horrible. But if one compared it to a standard 60 HP Merc it would have less top end to most fisherman looking a 60 speed isn't a hugh deal. It will put you on plane faster than a standard motor though. But it by no means would perform horrible on a boat.