• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera for Safari and Fishing

Ok I need some help and suggestions. I have a class next year and we will be going to Tanzania Africa for over a month, and I am sure I am going to want to take pictures. I am looking for a DURABLE camera, preferrably digital and it will be fairly resistant to blowing sand (less moving parts???). I really don't want to sacrifice the zoom or photo capabilities, but I don't want to wreck the camera.

Thanks a bunch

Dan

I'd recommend an advanced compact point and shoot. They are capable of excellent photos and can boast optical zooms of 12X and over. From what I've read, the higher priced digital SLR's are more prone to sand geting inside, probably due to the way the lenses attach, according to what I read. It would also be much less stressful to wreck a $350 camera than a $1200 outfit. Plus, the P & S's are much easier to transport.

What class are you taking? My wife went to Tanzania for a month a few years ago for a college class. She went while a student at the University of St. Thomas.

She did the safari thing for a few weeks, camping out along the way. Then they spent a few days on the coast of the Indian ocean where they went snorkling and swimming for a few days.

Yeah, thats probably the same class. I know hers was a UMAIE class that went during January and I think the professor was from Gustavus as well.

I think the name of the Safari company they used was Dorobo or something like that.

She had a great time, and she has ALOT of pictures.

Anyways she brought a really nice film camera when she went and she had two removable lens, one with a high powered zoom which allowed her to get pictures others could not get. (Like a leopard sleeping in a tree)

She had no problem keeping the camera clean, most of the time you are in a 4x4 vehicle or at camp so most cameras should be able to handle the abuse it will see on the trip.