• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HPDI Owners

eyepatrol

As long as it meets the manufacturer's requirements I don't think you can go terribly wrong. I think Yamaha sells their own brand of oil, but you'll probably pay for it too. I know bought some for my Grizzly and although it wasn't cheap, I figure the first few changes with it can't hurt to begin with.

I just figure that if Yamaha has their own specific oil to use with their marine products, that's what I should use, regardless of price. I'll sacrifice extra cost if that's what it takes. smirk.gif

I have a good friend that works as a parts man in a dealer and he and I go rounds with manufactures oils. Are they good products? I would say sure. To me, are there better? I think that there is better oils on the market than the manufactures. They made the product, but do not make oil. Some one else did. Usually the oil is some one elses different packaged product. S.A.E standards are placed on all products and owners manuals state what S.A.E recomdations should be used. You really do not have to spend $4.50+ a qt. for oil that is the same as $1.75 a qt. name brand oil.

I have had to show my buddy several times, in different owners manuals this, and then he shuts up. Just look in the owners manual or on the engine it self. It will state what should be in the engine.

I teach Auto mechanice and Small engine repair.

Sure TCW-3 will lubercate most 2 cycle engines. However, there is also such a thing as an additive package. The additive package is what helps clean and lower the acids and other bad stuff that combustion creates. All additive packages are not created equal. I know that Yamaha is more expensive, but might be cheaper in the long run. Source of my info is an oil school I attended at a vehicle maintenance conference. I asked the instructor this specific question. Incidently, he said he used Artic Cat oil in his Cat.

I'm sure that some real expert will weigh in on this.

As long as it meet the specs in your owners manual it should be fine. But they do make the own too I believe it is Yamalube I think you would need there 2-M variety.

Here is a quote right off Yamaha FAQ page

Question

What if I cannot find Yamalube® 2-M TC-W3® when I need oil?

Answer

Yamaha recommends Yamalube, of course, but if you simply cannot find it, choose another oil that specifically displays the TC-W3® rating logo. Be aware that, unlike Yamalube, some oils may just meet the minimum TC-W3® standards.