• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TILT & TRIM MOTOR on a 91 MERCURY

fisherking01

I've got a 91 60 hp merc that has been problematic with getting water in the tilt motor, causing corrosion. I originally had the motor for the tilt unit replaced in 99 by a shop, have had more problems again the past 3 years. They told me the housing on the original was warped, and replaced it.

Is there a lot of problems with these? should I replace the tilt & trim with an aftermarket one? any suggestions would be appreciated. Brent

I don't think there are many issues with these, it could be yours might be missing some seals and lets misture in.

T&T motors are not the best units in the world, regardless of brand, they should be much better units especially for what they cost shocked.gif

Anyway, there is no aftermarket unit for this, unless you want to buy a plate which will move your motor 6" back and will cost from $ 450.00 to $ 600.00 depending on unit.

Thanks for the info Valv. I placed the magnets from the motor back in their original spot and jb welded them back. It looks like that was the product originally holding them in place. I'm going to install new brushes, and get it going again, then I am planning on sealing it with a rubbercoating product, something like plasticoat. got a little further into the project and decided to check the motor out for compression, spark and so. Found I only have spark on one cyl, so now it's checking the stator, coilpack, ??? Not the end of the world, It's been a great motor and I've had it for 15 years. It's one of those maintainance things. Again thanks for the info, Brent

Brent, if you have anybody rebuilding electrical motors in the vicinity they can do yours for very little money, they are very simple units.

If you have no spark on some cyls try to swap coils to see if the missing one gets fixed, this way you know it's not the stator or powerpack, they are NOT cheap to replace.

Thanks again Valv, I am planning on checking coils today. There is a place that fixes elec motors, but I have experience as well, so I just get parts from them.

I think today I'm also going to take a break, head to ND and do a little spring walleye fishing!!

Thanks again, Brent

If you lost spark on all but one cylinder, more than likely you do not have a coil problem. It sounds more like the switch box. You will need a DVA meter and a test chart to properly diagnose it though. Before you go much further, check all the connections on all the coils, switch box, etc. Sometimes over the winter, corrosion can form. Valv is right, these parts are very expensive to start swapping out. I dont know of anybody who will take back electrical parts once you bought them.

Val gives good advice: Rotate your coils to eliminate the possibility of them being bad. But I'm pretty sure you'll find its the powerpack or switchbox as some call it. Mercury motors are notorious for those going bad over the winter. Something with the freezing and thawing does them in. Hope you do well fishing in ND.

Thanks for the tips all, the fishing in ND was great, no fish, but a very relaxing well deserved few hours away. Had one walleye about 20 inches and one catfish a bit bigger. neither landed, but that's ok too.

As for motor problem, it's not coil or connections, taking it to my friend's marine shop tomorrow. either the stator or the power pack. We'll get to the bottom and fix it up. No way I can afford a different rig, so a few bucks into this one will do. Once again, I appreciate all input. Brent