• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old fiberglass canoe, is it repairable??

I have an old canoe (30 years old?) that looks great on the outside (and appears solid), but the inside layer is cracke (two layers?) and the bars of the canoe are rotted. I have gotten many great years out of this canoe. Time to get a new one, or is it fixable? Still floats great....

Definitely fixable with time and a little TLC. The crack on the inside can be repaired with a patch (to find brands or exacts, do a search in the equipment section.) That should keep it afloat, considering you don't do too much moving with it or portaging. The bars will definitely be replaced, and could possibly be the cause of the crack on the inside layer. Without good support, it very well may be causing that stress crack. Until you fix the supports, I wouldn't really put too much use into it. It definitely could be brought to life again with a little work. If you do decide to sell it, you would have no problem getting rid of it. Many people, myself included smile.gif, are always in need of another canoe. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thanks, I will have to take pictures and post them for advice.

I used to portage a lot with this canoe. I was hoping to restore it to "portage form".

The outside is solid...but...well no one seems to trust it except for me....

My wife and I are taking 3 nephews and 3 nieces to the BWCA this year. It will be their first time.

Definitely get those pictures here when you get a chance. There is so much knowledge on this site, you'll have it back to perfect in no time. Just curious, since it is a fiberglass canoe, doesn't that make it a bit heavy to portage?

It is a homemade canoe, I believe. It is a hard platic on the outside, not fiberglass. I used to load it up on a car myself or carry it. It is not too heavy, especially for a 17 ft. However, I know many canoes now are much lighter.

I advertised at work that I need a canoe...and already had a response. If I can repair mine and buy another...I would be very happy!

Sounds more like delaminating between layers to me unless it really is just a stress crack. That would be avery bad thing. It won't preclude it from floating, but it is a major weak point and for supporting 100lbs in gear and more with people I would be leary about extended trips.

It could be that the weakend supports caused the stress fracture. Repairing those could take away that stress, and if patched correctly, could eliminate that weakness. Just thinking outloud..