• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Walnut tree removal

I have come to the conclusion that I do not need this tree growing within 4 ft of my gagrage and over hanging my vehicles. It is about 50 ft tall and about 2 ft in diameter.

Is there any truth that there is some good money to be made with Black Walnut? I'd like to get it out of the way.

Mike

Mike ~

This isn't a real answer to your question, but awhile back, I thought I heard black walnut trees take a very long time to grow, so as I was reading your post, my curiosity got the best of me and made me wonder how old your black walnut might be, being that it's 2 feet in diameter?

My parents have one in their backyard they planted over 20 years ago, and it's only 6-8 inches in diameter (don't quote me on the 20 years--just a guess.) I'm certainly not a tree expert by any means...I do think they are beautiful trees..it's a shame it's so close to your house.

Anyone know??

There is no good way to age the tree with out taking a core sample or counting the rings once its been removed. Too many variables effect how it can grow such as water, nutrients surrounding trees and the construction of your house.

It is too bad that it needs to be removed, but if its endangers your property that is not good and if those walnuts were to fall 50ft and hit your car it would be as bad as hail damage.

There can be money to be made from it, but unlikely so since its just one tree. The wood must be straight with as few defects as possible like knots, cankers, holes, decay etc.

In order to get the best chance of making any money would be have it removed by someone who really knows what they are doing (pro tree companiy or similarly trained) and make sure they know you want to sell it. They should keep pieces at least 8-10ft and they should make one cut at the base and not leave a stump. Lowering it will prevent damage to the exterior of the wood since I assume its over a driveway.

Then just post it for sale someplace with the proper measurements of what you have. A woodworker or someone with a portable sawmill would love it. Its not worth as much as it once was, but its still worth more than other woods. You could probably find a pric eonline for what its going for.

The other option is you can keep it and there are saw mills that allow you to bring in your own wood and have it milled into boards or whatever you want for not much money....lots cheaper than buying lumber.

Mike:

Black Walnut tree's can be very good money to the right logger. We just had some cut out of a timber on my mother's farm this fall by chance. If the tree your talking about is straight for quit a distance up from the base it would be considered premium walnut at 2ft' diameter, used and sold to a mill at venier(spelling check) grade lumber.Measure from ground level up the trunk to the first branch growing off the trunk, this will give you the board feet involved when you convert it down. Most are only intereted in trunks only leaving the top to you to do with, selling smaller diameter's to others or cutting up for firewood

As long as there is no metal as in nails,fencing, etc in the trunk,it turns walnut wood green around the area,you have a very good income maker on your property. wink.gif

Be very carefull in which logger you choose to go with,get 3 bids at the minimum on your tree.Make sure they are bonded and insured where this is next to buildings.

Hope this helps out some.

Farmer

Thanks guys,

By looking at some of my pictures, the first branch seems to be at least 10' from the ground and straight with no metal. It does produce alot of walnuts but I need the space and the sun shine for other projects. I do have others on the property but they are all small (10'-15' tall)

I'll make some calls and see what some mills have to say.

Thanks,

Mike

On the farm where I was raised we have black walnut trees and they are about the same size your talking about. Dad figures they were planted around 1905 - 1910 or so by his Great Grandpa. Personally I don't remember those trees changing or growing much when I was a kid so they must have maxed out by the time I came along.

Depending on the character of the wood, they can bring some good money as gun stocks too. Google it up you might be surprised.

Mike

Walnut trees are like used cars...some are worth thousands and some arent worth anything. My guess is that unless you are willing to take it down yourself you'll be paying a tree removal company a couple thousand or so to do it for you, and then trying to sell a log that's not worth what you may think. No veneer buyer would purchase a yard tree. Dang few sawmills would either. Any log makes the best lumber if you cut it immediately. Walnut gets a blue stain in the sapwood, and the ends will check if you dont endseal them. Good luck.

My best suggestion would be to talk to someone who wants the log. If you find a buyer for the wood they can tell you what they want done for prep work and how large/small they want the pieces. If you can line that up then you can pick a tree removal company and hire them to remove the tree and have the wood buyer pick it up the same day or the next.

Make sure the conditions made by the log buyer are part of your contract for tree removal. That way if they screw it up you can go after them for the money lost if the log is damaged or unusable.

The cost of removal could vary from several hundred to maybe $2000. It shouldn't cost any more than that unless they need to hire a crane or something. I know you said its 4ft from the garage, but if they can move the tree the other way or rope the branches down there should be little risk or extra work to drive up the price. Plus the company won't have to dispose of the logs.