• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker Motor Question?

Ulvy

I am in the market for a 4 stroke "kicker" size motor. I am going to use it on my 14' boat for two years, then add it as a actual kicker once I get a actual full size walleye machine.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I have done some research, looking for 8 - 15 hp, priority's are:

1. Long Term Reliability

2. Cold Starting Reliability

The Yamaha T-8, honda and nissan motors have caught my eye, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead for any input!

Dave

I think you will find the two "go to" motors are the Yammie T-8 and the Merc "Pro Kicker". Both get very high marks for reliability and good features. I guess it depends upon what color motor your next rig will have smile.gif I really liked the T-8 and was going to get one until the Pro Kicker came out, now I would get a black one wink.gif but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Good luck,

There really are only two true kickers, the T8 and the Pro Kicker. They feature stronger mounting brackets, power trim and tilt, electric start, and high thrust props and gears for moving heavy boats slowly. Not the best option for a main power source on a small boat, but they would work.

There are lots of small 4 stroke motors, not true kickers, but small 4 strokes. These could be used as kickers on larger boats, but you're giving up the stronger mounting brackets. Tilt/trim and electric start are options. The prop and lower unit are not high thrust, which is why they are better for the main motor on smaller boats. And they work as kickers, I used a 9.9 merc 4 stroke as a kicker for years on an 18 foot boat and never had 1 complaint about it.

As for kickers, I prefer the Pro Kicker over the T8 but they are both great motors.

Keep in mind that you will want a long shaft for the kicker and that may not work for your 14 foot boat.

I tried taking my kicker off my big boat once and tried using it on a small boat with a short shaft transom and it didn't work very well at all. Water hit the extended portion of the lower unit and was forced back up and over the transom and into the boat. Not only did it keep getting me wet but it was enough that I had to keep bailing to keep afloat. Never bothered doing that again!

Hopefully your 14 footer takes a long shaft and you will be good to go.

ccarlson

Keep your eyes open, I will be posting a 1996 Honda 8HP (all Honda motors are 4 stroke) kicker for sale here in the next week or two. It's like new. As soon as the weather gets nice agian I'll take it off and take pictures and post.

Thanks for all the great input guys, this info helps alot. I do have a deep transom so I can use a long shaft on my 14ft boat.

Once again, thanks for the info.....