• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question On ATV Private/Agricultural Use Registration

slotlimit

Quote:

Roofer,

I will have to agree with FM5586 on this one. He has done his homework and has obviously spent a significant amount of time researching this. And I admit, he has proven me wrong.

When I had my V-Force, I always wanted to be able to put a track and ski kit on it to be able to ride it on the trails in the winter time but thought it was illegal. So I never made the purchase.

FM,

thanks for the links. Very helpful. But I still wouldn't consider the tires on my John Deere GX255 flotation or balloon type tires..
grin.gif

Funny you should mention that machine. A local bar owner has a set of ski's for his (Green) V-force and puts paddle tires on it for ridding the sled trails in the winter. He says its a screaming machine and if he isn't carefull he can roost the living bejeasus out of a trail. However it gets colder then living heck riding a trail without a fairing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the case of a trail crossing a lake, there may be an exception to the rule that you wouldn't need the trail sticker for that portion of the trail. But then again, this is the state of 10,000 laws that don't make a lick of sense.

I wish I still had the V-Force. Even though it was an auto, it was a riot to ride.

So you are saying that if I add tracks to my machine I would have to register as an ORV? If so, why is this? It cannot be a weight issue, because you can add as much weight to your machine as you want.

Quote:

So you are saying that if I add tracks to my machine I would have to register as an ORV? If so, why is this? It cannot be a weight issue, because you can add as much weight to your machine as you want.

Yes, I am... Read the definition of an ATV.Pluss go back and re-read the corispondance I had with the DNR. An ATV has to have "3-6 low preasure floatation tires on it". Then figure in the weight of the machine to decide as to what class it falls in (prior to tracks). However if you read and study the regs enough and look outside of the box {Set aside EVERYTHING you think an ATV SHOULD be/is} you can find a few chinks in the armour to make you "Legal"

Otherwise it comes down to if a CO, knows that sense you have tracks on you machine it no longer is an ATV, then does he want to pinch you for it. I have been riding in the past on my machine (while tracked up) and the local CO has done nothing. Pluss my machine stands out like a soar thumb.

Now go here and slide to page 24. Compare the two defintions and see if you can find the "loop hole".

Well, according to that most people don't have an atv then. Most all aftermarket tires are rated at max 7 psi, the laws says max 6 psi. Also alot of them are wider than 48", so that means it isn't an atv according to the MN state DNR. I guess not many people are riding legally to a "t".

Also looks like 14" rims are not considered part of an atv either.

Quote:

Well, according to that most people don't have an atv then. Most all aftermarket tires are rated at max 7 psi, the laws says max 6 psi. Also alot of them are wider than 48", so that means it isn't an atv according to the MN state DNR. I guess not many people are riding legally to a "t".

Also looks like 14" rims are not considered part of an atv either.

FYI that is WI regs

Woops, I didn't read the top of the page. BUT why would you post that? We live in MN, and that is what the conversation is about.

Or were you talking about the difference in the laws that are stated?

Quote:

Woops, I didn't read the top of the page. BUT why would you post that? We live in MN, and that is what the conversation is about.

Or were you talking about the difference in the laws that are stated?

Yes I was, showing the differnce. So now that you have read the two different state regs. (Even WI is dated.)

Anyway tell can you tell me what a low preasure floatation tire actully is. As in what the state says it is.... And no, "I will know one when I see it" won't work. My mower tires are low preasure (LP)as compared to my van, the van is LP as compaired to my truck, and my truck is LP compared to semi tires. The tires on my wheeler have less preasure in them as compared to my mower. MN state regs do not have a defintion as to what LP floatation tires are. But you have to have 3-6 of them.