• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer oil?

CrappieAttitude

Just curious was to what you guys run in your air cooled wheelers in the summer. I need to change out my current oil and want to see what everyone reccomends. Thanks in advance for the suggstions. I have a 98 Yamaha Grizzly 600 and this is the first summer it will be totally functioning in about 2 years.

CA

That's the same wheeler I used to have! Anyhow I would highly suggest Amsoil 0-40W ATV oil. It will work year round for ya which is the best part. It is designed for ATV's, and I know of alot of people that use it with great results.

I believe the dealer would recomend 10w40 for summer, and 10w30 for winter would be the most comon, unless your using it in extremes of hot or cold, go thicker for hotter, or thinner for colder. Never used synthetic in mine but Im sure it would work good.

The SAE definitions - the number associated with the "W" (think winter) is the cold test number for viscosity, tested at +40 deg F (not very cold, but it is the test definition) and the second number following the "-" is the hot test number for viscosity tested at 200 deg F. The AMSOIL Power Sports 0W-40 is rated to "replace 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 oils for ATVs, snowmobiles, and other power sports applications" (quoting from the bottle label). If you feel the 0W is too thin for hot weather then I would recommend using a 10W-40, with AMSOIL use the MotorCycle spec. Whatever you use, don't use an automotive oil, but make sure it includes wet clutch and transmission ratings. The bottle needs to have a "JASO" rating.

The 0W40 will be about the same viscosity as 10W40 at temperature in the summer and winter. The 0W rating will help get oil to the top-end quicker in the summer or winter. There is no need to switch to 10W40 for the summer (although it won't hurt anything).