• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New house and yard ?'s

18 inch Crappie

There are a couple of different sod farms very nearby. The closest ones are going to be one off 242 in Lino Lakes and another off of Lexington in Ham Lake. They are both pretty good, my parents got some sod from both of them at different times. I can't tell you about cost, but the grass is pretty good.

Tom

Getting the sod as local as possible is the best since the sod will be grown in areas similar to you and also the delivery charge will be less. I assume you're gonna need several pallets of sod so unles you've got a class 8 trailer you're better off getting it delivered.

As far as trees you can pick what ever you want based on the site and how much sun they will get. One big thing is to buy trees from a nursery or garden center that grows their plants locally. Most of the big box stores like Home Depot etc get their trees delivered from states down south and although those trees are designed to grow here, they weren't raised here and may not adapt well to our conditions. WHen planting new, anything you can do to help your new trees along will save you time and moeny in the future. Also look for warrenties on the plant material. You should get at least one year.

Assuming your yard is bare ground i would do it yourself, it's easy and will save you money. Just pick out a couple trees from a nursery, dig a hole a plant it. As far as sod goes just have to work the soil up a bit, roll the sod out making sure you stagger the roles in each row, and water it good keeping it moist. And for seeding, just loosen up the soil and broadcast seed, drag it in so it has good seed to soil contact, put down some starter fertilizer, and water the seed keeping the soil moist. after the seed start to pop a bit don't be afraid to put a little more starter fertilizer down.