• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW DRENALIN

We are hunting 347 near Chattfield. I was drawn for A season this year and I am hoping to bag one with my Bow. In the off years where I don't get drawn I usually end up down in Missouri.

There are several bows on the market that will reach those speeds (320 fps) and more and shoot better than than really good bows. My 70 pound Tribute (set at 65 pounds..maybe a little less) is over 320 through the chrono and it has lots of room to spare. I could go much lighter with my arrow and field point/broadhead set up (I went with a little extra splpine to be safe). 320 seemed screaming fast at one time, that will be the standard in 3 years...thats my prediction!

I am not saying there are not bows that shoot that fast out there, but realistically it is just not the case with most bows as of now especially with hunting set-ups, I know 300 is acheivable, I have seen it.

I got this from the Archery Exchange HSOforum on IBO and AMO speed ratings.

"If we try to make some generalizations about the two different ratings we could say that the I.B.O. speed rating is much faster than most archers could achieve, and conversely the A.M.O. speed rating reflects a speed that is less than what most shooters could achieve with the same bow. If a bows I.B.O. speed rating is 320fps and its A.M.O. speed rating is 245fps that would mean the average archer would shoot that bow somewhere in the middle of that range.

All I am trying to say is that most bows are rated using IBO (It shows faster speeds in general, helps with marketing) in which there are ideal conditions set up for each bow. "Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 70lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 350(5 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing."

This is the rating system most bow manufacturers use to place a top end speed rating on their bows. I do believe that it is pushing many of the bows to their limits with arrow weight though.

You have to use pretty light arrows to achieve those IBO speeds. With the new bow technology it can be obtained. However, if a bow is rated 320 IBO the only way you are going to get it to shoot that fast is to use the exact settings used for the IBO rating test. To get faster than that one would need to shoot shorter arrows.