• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dropper Rigin

Sandmannd

I was watching In-Fisherman and they were talking about a dropper rig for crappie. You cut a 2 foot section of line off and tie it to the line still on your rod. Put a jig on each end and it's a crappie machine. They were TX, is this type of rig legal in MN? I would think if you put a spoon on it you could get away with it.

I believe it is illegal to have two seperate hooks/jigs on your line. The dropper rig used around here is made by tying a spoon to your line, taking off the treble hook then tying 6-8 inches of line below it, and then your jig. It works well, especially when fishing deep water so you don't have to wait forever for your jig to get down the water column.

Here's the only legal way to fish more than one hook:

"Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass."

I'd say no dice in this case...

actually they sell rigs like this at walmart and gander mountain. I sent an email to the dnr last year asking if they were legal this is the response i got:

"Yes, because of the multiple hook arrangement, they are illegal. But, adding a bead or blade will make it a legal artificial. Hoefully, we'll be able to adjust the rule language to make these legal w/o having to modify."