• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Synchronizing carburetors???

Deep_Sinker

Anyone know of an inexpensive do-it-myself way to properly sync carbs? Any idea where to get a cheap vacuum gauge? Do I need a specific size?

Also, what about the oil pump. I've read that the oil pump should be synchronized with the carbs too. What needs to be done to get this? Should the measurements be the same???

Does depend what sled you have. Does it have flat slide carbs in a rack. Or round slide individual carbs. There are two different proceedures to sync them with out a vacuum guage. Unless you have a fourstroke carb machine. then you need a sync guage and motion pro's are usually about 100.00 or less.

The drill bit method works fine for getting the cable set, which will pull open both carbs at the same time. However, the correct way to sync carbs is on engine demand. No 2 cylinders have equal pull, so to do it right, you really should use a guage. You can get a tool called uni-sync. This is available through aftermarket suppliers such as www.hiperf.com, www.denniskirk.com or www.shadetreepowersports.com. This uni-sync is held over the carbs while the engine is running and the vacuum from that cylinder willrais or lower the ball on the gauge. Check one cylinder to get a reading, then chack the other cylinder and adjust so they both set the ball at the same level. It's a pretty inexpensive tool (About $40). You would be supprised at the differance in throttle response once the carbs are in-sync if the were off before. Again syncing carbs is about the engine demand per cylinder, not just both carbs opening at the same amount at the same time. If yur in central minnesota (St. Joseph) stop in and you can borrow one.