• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report for weekend 10/11

Not so good. My first trip to Devils lake was a buzz kill as far as the fishing went. I initially wanted to target walleye's but was told by the folks at Woodland that they have not been biting well this winter and didn't have any houses set up for walleye but that the perch had been very good. So I changed my plans to target the big perch. Well the first day fishing 10 hours produced 1 perch for 5 fisherman. I had 3 kids with me and was pretty bummed that they didn't see any action. So I asked the resort if we could target pike the next day. They acomodated us and we did have some fun action on the 11th with the pike. It wasn't fast and furious, but we had enough action to keep the kids interested and landed a few nice fish in the 4-7lb range. I was told that since the big snow last week everything kind of shut down. Just my luck. I think if I try the lake again it will be in the summer. I've heard the fishing is more consistent then, than in the winter and I really want to target the nice walleye on the lake. The folks at Woodland did treat me well and were very helpful, the fish just weren't cooperating.

~piker

I was up at Woodland Resort last weekend for pike and we had some luck at Churches Ferry. We cuaght about 20 pike and I had two that snapped the 30lb tipup line.

Here are some pictures from Sat.

DevilsLakefishingadventure07036.jpg

Even the GF caught some.

DevilsLakefishingadventure07056.jpg

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Spent the first part of Saturday in the north end of Six Mile. The fishing was very slow. I could tell everyone else was in the same boat, as everyone was moving around and people left pretty early. Around 9:30ish we went south to the point on the west side of the Six Mile and fishing on top (20-24ft) for perch. We didn't find a whole lot of fish but the perch that we found tore the rod out of your hand when they hit. We left there around 12:30 with just about 1 limit for 3 guys. From there we headed south to Black Tiger. That was a mistake, we didn't get one bite for the rest of the day... Sunday we decieded to head back to the point on Six Mile. We started fishing in 3ft out to about 10, and caught nothing until 9. We then moved out back into 20 on top of the point and started caughting 10-12 walleyes. Around 9:30ish our tips ups started going crazy. The pike turn on, it was a great time. I think we ended up with 15 pike between 2-8lb and I broke off 15lb test 4 times on who knows what. I also lost a 5lb 'eye because I hit it's head on the bottom of the hole trying to get it up. The crazy part was we didn't catch 1 perch.

That was my first trip up to DL. I am from MN and grew up with Mille Lacs right out my back door. You really forget how daunting of a task it is to start from stratch and learn a lake as complex and fun as DL!!

O yeah, for bait we used multiple different jigs all with a 1/2 of fat head. The fish seemed slightly to prefer a gold colored jig, but not by a whole lot. For the tip ups (we were more after 'eyes) we used a 6' mono leader, with a colored hooks.

Hope this helps.

- Guder