• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winching on Ice

luckydave

Does anyone have a good idea for an anchor that can go in a hole drilled with an auger if you get stuck on the ice? I'm trying to think of something strong enough and easy to use under the ice. Thanks.

what i've done is just drill a hole in the ice and tie a bar, about a foot and a half long and shove it under the ice completely, so it's anchored. you'll get a wet arm, but it will hold like cement until you're out. I've pulled fish housed out of open water with this technique.

I JUST did this about 2 weeks ago. Except stupid me drilled the hole, then left the auger in it and tried to use the auger shaft as the anchor. Bent the shaft. Thats gonna cost me a buck and a half to replace. But then it hit me. Drill two holes about 10 inches apart. Provided you can reach the bottom of the ice. Then drop the cable down one and either reach into the other hole, or use a gaff or fishing rod and get the cable up and out of the second hole and snap the hook back onto the cable itself.

Im not laughing at you Wade. I am laughing with you. grin.gif

I almost did the same with my auger once but got better sense before I went through with it.

I like the 2 hole idea though. Will have to file that idea in the memmory banks.