• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poured Floor?????????

Big Dave2

Anyone know anything about a poured floor? I have one of these in my kitchen. It looks like just some sort of morter mix with some colored flakes mixed in. My house is about 50 yrs old.

Years ago I covered it with vinyl because it is butt ugly. Well now I would really like to tear it up so I can install solid oak flooring like I have in my living room and make it butt up at the same level.

Does anyone know anything about this and if it is enen possible to somehow rip this stuff out without tearing the whole house down?

Thanks for the info. I guess I do realize that this is sometimes used as a floor leveler, but to the best of my knowledge this was put in from the day the house was built and there should have been no need for it. I think they used it because of its durability, but thats the part that I hate about it.

How would you go about grinding it out, and what is the right equipment?

Thanks,

Dave

Your probably right about that BobbyBass but I was hoping to have one continuous oak floor that would be the same in both rooms. That means I would have to butt up to the existing living room oak floor or have a step down into the living room.

Any idea how thick it is?? That would help determine the feasability of removal...iF it's similar to lath and mortar, that can be removed with a sledge hammer and some elbow grease, or rent a SDS chipping hammer. Not a fun job but it is commonly done. Other question is do the cabinets sit on top of the pour or did they pour to the cabinets... if they sit on top you will may a height issue to contend with too. There are ways around that though too.

It could also be a seamless floor. They were a poured epoxy with flakes thrown in. The hardwood flooring company I work for used to do seamless floors, and we have had to remove some of them. We have used our floor sanders with coarse grit papers. Nothing finer than 24 grit paper. I would get the flooring tested for asbestos before sanding.

Quote:

It could also be a seamless floor. They were a poured epoxy with flakes thrown in. The hardwood flooring company I work for used to do seamless floors, and we have had to remove some of them. We have used our floor sanders with coarse grit papers. Nothing finer than 24 grit paper. I would get the flooring tested for asbestos before sanding.

How thick would these usually be?

The thickness depends on the product and what the owners wanted. I know the stuff we used to do could be thinned out or thickened to affect how thick the coating was. I would say average would be about 1/8" thick.