• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FISH DYING OUT??

MILLER TIME

We have a three Acre pond thats full of pan fish, bass, and northern. We decided the other day to try some ice fishing so I went to drill holes for the next days fishing and three little sunnies (1") that were dead, came up out of the hole!I know this year the pond is really low and has about 3-4 foot of water but i didnt expect this. Is it possible that the little ones are just dying out and the big ones will survive? confused.gif

Sorry to say - I have always heard the big fish go first and the little ones are last to go? With the lack of snow I would think most lakes would be in good/ok shape? Would be interesting to hear from others though

Thats not a good sign. The lake I live on gets a winter kill once in a while and its hard to watch 1000's for fish gather in the springs and die.

You could give the fish some relieve by opening a hole and putting a 1/2 0r 1/3 hp electric sump pump with a defusser/spray nozzle beating onto the surface of the water.

Keep the pump just below the ice. The idea is to get air mixed into that dead water. Eventually the hole is going to get bigger so you'll want to use signs and barricades to warn folks of the thin ice and open water. I've done this btw and it works, it should be pretty effective on your small pond if its not too late. Kind of a poor mans aerator.

edited to add, the lack has driven the ice deep, thats not always bad because theres still good light penetration, but in your case your very shallow.

Great news for now, the fish are still alive and well. We caught some sunnies and bass. the water is clear enough that we can see really good and theres alot of fish still alive. Its only the really small ones that have killed off. I wonder if theres aways some winter kill?? Thanks for your help

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There is normally some amount of fish die-off due to age or disease. Check for green weeds. That usually means you have oxygen production going on while the CO2 is being removed.

Dora in the South Central Minnesota is winterkilling already this year so there are some it is happenning to.