• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lights flicker with generator in fish house

walleye_jigger

Hello, I am looking for some reply's from guys with experience using generator's. We just picked up a generator for the fish house and we have 2 60 watt bulbs wired in. When we run the lights they constantly flicker or get brighter and dimmer. Is this common or did we maybe get a faulty generator. Just wondering what everyone else has seen.

The problem could be in the generator or in your wiring. You can try and use a volt meter and measure the voltage. Sometimes the old fashioned meter with a needle will react quicker to a varying voltage. Plug a trouble light directly into the generator and see if it flickers. That will eliminate the wiring in the house. Plug your fish house into home power and see if the lights flicker. Most of all be very carefull when dealing with 120 volts. It is the voltage that kills the most people. Be sure to use a GFI!!!

New or used generator, and how big? Does the generator run at a fairly constant rpm? If the rpms are fluctuating the voltage will too. Try adding more wattage load to it and see if it makes any difference. It could be with such a small load the regulator is too sensitive. Also, just to be sure, check your wiring and plugs for tight connections.

It's a brand new 1250 watt generator. That would make sense that we didn't have enough load on it since we were just running the 2 light bulbs. I am just concerned if we hook something a little more sensitive to it that the fluctuation might cause some damage. But I will try another light like previously mentioned.

I wouldn't hook anything with a microchip (some TV's or VCR's) until you get this figured out. I would still be hesitant on connecting these type of items up unless it has a invertor builtin. Those types of voltage sags and swells will damage things quickly.