• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are BIG pike with small pike?

Jameson

Are the Big Pike (40"+) in the same areas as smaller pike? I have found a few spots where I can catch 28"-31" pike on a regular basis. Generally on shallow weed flats full of sunfish. Can the BIGS be found in the same areas, or do I need to look elsewheres? Maybe deep? Thanks

Good Topic and great Questions.

Alot of time you will find that the pike that you are getting right now have ither came up from the deep water, or have been sitting and laying in the weeds from that break line.

There is going to be some 40+ fish that you are going to have a chance at getting, but most of the time, the 40+ fish will sit in the deeper water in the winter time.

I have had time where i was out and have seen alot of 40+ fish, but 90% of the time, there coming from deep water.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to ya.

My ..02...I don't spend a lot of time keying on pike, so just long time observations here. Pike seem to seperate by size more than most species. Especially in bigger bodies of water where I do most of my fishing, it can be a matter of a single bay holding good fish, and a near identical bay from first glance holding mostly small fish. Often acess to deeper water seems to be a key difference, but sometimes not, I chalk it up to slight differences I'm not catching, and that the big fish know what they like and obviously are fewer in #, so whatever space they choose not to occupy the small fish take. I know it's not much help in ID'ing those spots; rather, when you find them to make note as they seem to hold the bigger fish year to year, which is good to know if you fish the same waters consistently. Aside from deep water nearby, I guess I look for cabbage and other broadleaf weeds and avoid reeds, as they tend to only hold smaller fish. Time of year/water temp also plays a big part, but thats another whole discussion...

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to hook into one of these monsters before the end of the season (Feb. 25). I am fishing Minnetonka, so I think they are in there, just hope I can find one and get it to bite.

Only when they looking for lunch... I fish Tonka a lot and my experience is a definite no. Big pike act a lot different from the smaller pike. Like BAss n Spear mentioned the big ones hang deeper and will show up on the weedlines for a very short time to feed. Then they head back to deeper water. You can get these bigger pike but look for 25 to 30ft depths right on the thermocline in open water season. Key on spots where those depths hit structure like points or humps. I usually resort to trolling to cover the water better. Fall will find the big pike up on the weedlines as temps drop into their preferred range. You can get them using normal musky tactics but again make sure there is deep water nearby. I usually catch a high 30 inch pike every fall while weedline trolling for walleye after dark.

We are just getting to the peak period for bigger pike through the ice. Dead smelt/ciscos or large suckers on tipups over the weedy structure works great the last two weeks in Feb. Probably gets even better in March but the season is closed.