• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for some guidence on a big buddy

thirtysomething

Hey fellow FMers. I'm picking up a big buddy today or tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone has seen any good deals on these lately? I read the thread a while back about the heaters, and it helped me decide I should go for the big buddy. My little buddy has had better days. Am I better off buying one at say a fleet farm so I can get a hose and bigger tank as well? I guess I've never paid attention at Gander to see what they all offer. Is getting a small tank a better way to go? Seems like the small cans always end up leaking. I also was tipped off that a fuel filter is a good idea too. Thanks in advance for any tips, this HSOforum is the BEST!

I've heard rumor of it being cheap at Lowes. For sure get the hose and filter, they're must haves. The big buddy does suck down the propane when running in full bore 18,000 btu mode so a bigger bottle is a must.

I've found the sparker to be a bit flakey at times so make sure you get one of those stick lighters just in case.

I'm heading to Red this weekend and I'm bringing a 20 and 10 lb'er just in case.

You might want to read this post before you buy that hose. Big Buddy hose clarification

I am using the 12' R.V. quick connect hose this year and so far I am impressed. The best part is that it stays primed, in theory, with the tank disconnected for filling.

To be more specific after filling the tank and reinstalling the hose assembly the heaters pilot will come back on within 5 to 10 seconds (the high pressure hose takes much longer to purge out the air). I'll turn the heater on to medium and wait for it to turn off (caused by the small amount of air that gets in between the regulator and the fitting that attaches to the tank). 5 to 10 seconds to get the pilot lit again and its good to go for the rest off the day!!

I run mine with an 11 pound tank. If I run it on high I can get around 16 hours of run time. I also bring a couple of one pounders just in case I run out. I know I can get around 3 hours on two 1 pounders.

I also carry one of those stick lighters. You find that if the unit is really really cold and/or full of snow and/or wet from riding in the back of the truck, the igniter doesn't always work.

Thanks AirJer. Any recommendation on a one stop shop. Let's say hypothetically grin.gif I don't have a lot of time and need to grab and go after work and before the 5 A.M. launch time of my trip. I live on the east side so the farm, gander, joes, etc aren't a problem. Lowes is in Stillwater and a short trip if that's the concensus on where to go. Menards is still being built next to my house so they're out. Thanks again for the tips. For propane, I usually hit Larry's. I guess I'll be need to get a tank filled and will keep my cans for an emergency. I love the idea of a quick connect.

I know for shure that Sportsmans Warehouse in woodbury has the hoses. I do balieve that Gander in Woodbury has them also. I couldn't say who has the better prices on anything. I bought my heater at Tractor Supply the first year they came out. $119 was a pretty good deal at the time. I bought my quick connect hose ($34.99)at sportsmans, they where the first ones I had seen to carry it.