• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold, but dealing with it (pic included)

Steve Foss

It's not often a blue jay lets someone get 10 feet away. But it's -21 up here on Finn Hill right now, with a 10-mph wind, and this fella was all fluffed up in the thick snarl of buckthorn in the morning sun. He took one look at me and said: I ain't moving! I don't blame him. I was out all day yesterday shooting and guiding in the cold, and I ain't moving much today either. grin.gif

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso200, 1/400 at f8, handheld

blue-jay-fluffed.jpg

Hey not too shabby Steve! wink.gif I was out and was able to use my ninja skills to get close, or maybe it had something to do with the Black Oiler Sunflower seeds. It's amazing how many species show up when it's cold and their hungry. I was going to start a new thread, but since we both have cold weather Blue Jay shots, I figured what the heck... lets share. grin.gif

Nikon D200 ~ Nikkor 80-400mm ~ ISO 200 ~ F8 ~ Gitzo CF tripod ~ full frame bluejayeyelevel2ah6.jpg

Yep, he's cold. And he'll be getting colder. It never got above -15 today, and the NWS just changed the forecast.

We're headed to -40 tonight in Ely, with the lows Sunday night warming to a balmy -38. Yikes!

The birds already knew what the weather man just decided. Most days we have a busy flurry the first hour after the sun comes over the trees and the last couple of hours before sundown, but today they've been going hard all day long.

Sure hope that pair of cardinals that's been hanging around our feeder has a warm roost this weekend! frown.gif

Here are a couple more shot an hour ago. C-C-Can you say c-c-c-cold?

Same 20D and 100-400L IS, handheld, both iso400

Cold Mr., Ms. or Mrs. Siskin

380mm, 1/200 at f8

cold-siskin.jpg

Cold Mr. Redpoll

400mm, 1/320 at f8

cold-redpoll.jpg

nice shots guys!....I can't help but feel for these creatures on these cold nights(as I'm sitting here eating a bowl of double buttered popcorn grin.gif)...I've always wondered how those birds legs keep from freezing stiff on these - 40 below nights....geesh those little guys gotta be feezing there butts off shocked.gif...now I know why God didn't give birds the ability to frown..they'd make him feel guilty tonight...... grin.gif

I love the slight splash of color those Redpolls give us on these cold, white/gray winter days. I live near Buffalo, MN,in the country and in the 10 or so years we have lived here we've only seen them twice. It's a bit late now but maybe with some real Minnesota weather we might see some again. I love the small, seemingly underdogs of the north country. I've slept in -10 degrees on the ice in nothing but a sleeping bag for a few days, many times but to live out there 24/7 is amazing. I saw the biggest, fluffiest rooster pheasant eating and sunning today on the way home. Wish I had my new camera in the truck. Thanks for the pics.