• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1998 Merc 115 2 stroke

spudhauler

Question

Should this motor emit a beep or alarm sound when you start it? Mine does not and I wonder if it should or if mine is bad. I know it is to supposed beep if it overheats or low oil level is detected. How do you test it to see if system is working correclty? Since my outboard does not beep at start-up, are repairs needed or am I being paranoid? Thanks for any advice.

4 answers to this question

My '94 Merc 175 has a horn. Last summer I replaced mine because I noticed no beep when I turned the key on. My horn was inside the throttle box, but I don't know about your model. Most motors/boats I've seen has an alarm when the ignition is turned on to test the system/motor.

Sometimes the boat will have the gauges/alarm horn under the dash. I have the old throttle box design, that's where my horn was.

Your motor has an alarm, it should beep when you turn key on without starting the motor, it's a "courtesy check" to assure it's working.

You might have to have it checked.

If your remote control is a sidemount (you see the actual control box with lever and the key is on box) the buzzer is inside it.

If you have a recessed mount (you just see the handle sticking out of side panel and ignition key is on dash) the buzzer is located under the dash somewhere, you can check it yourself mybe there's a wire diconnected, it's approx 1.5" diameter round black "puck".

That's funny, my 98 115 doesn't beep either. I was wondering about that. The key is on the dash. I wonder if the alarm thing did't get deep sixed during the prerig at Lund. Or at the dealer. It never did beep when turning on.