• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memory cards

Quick question for the photo pros out there.

I was wondering if by frequently taking and erasing photos on a memory card if it has any negative effects over time as opposed to filling up the card. For example I'm using a 1gb memory stick and once I get to about 50 pics I copy them to disks and/or print them. Is this in any way bad for the card or can you do this indefinately?

I always format my cards in camera, after of course moving and backing up the files on them grin.gif I am a fan of formating, it sure seems to reduce the errors that can be associated on occasion with memory cards. Just make sure you have backups where you want them, even photo recovery software will not save you if you format the card.

I lost my pictures from my SD card while pulling out the card without shutting down the camera. This resulted in loss of pictures. A friend of mine suggested me to use Stellar Phoenix Digital Media Recovery Software, it provides recovery of lost, deleted and formatted digital photos / pictures / images / audio files from removable media, after an accidental deletion, media format or corrupt media.

It can Recovers lost or deleted digital pictures from: Memory Sticks, Flash Cards, Sony Memory Stick, IBM Micro Drive, SD Cards, MMC Cards, XD Cards, Secure Digital Card, Zip Disks, Mini Disks.

I download the demo version from: [Note from admin: please see forum rules before posting again. Thank you.]

Scan my card and was able to see the preview of my deleted pictures. Then got the full version to save my pictures.

So the moral of the story is always do proper shut down of camera before pulling out the card.

Hey Leaxa, welcome to FM. Good to see you here.

Different cameras have different demands. My Canon bodies don't need to be turned off before the compact flash card is removed. Opening the door to the CF slot automatically deactivates the camera.

That being said, your advice is quite good. Know your camera's processes so you don't lose valuable images. grin.gif