• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Oil Change

Wayne Sieber

Guys - How often does everyone change the oil on their ATV's? The owners manual for my machine (2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450) says every six months (or 1,500 miles) but I have a hard time believing everyone does it that often. Now keep in mind I am a newbie when it comes to this ATV thing so I really don't have a clue. Also, if anybody has any other hints on what to check and when, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I would deffinitly stick to that after spending that kinda dough on a quad. Oil changes in engines are the #1 thing to ensure a long life. How much does oil cost and how much does a new quad cost? Now if you only use it a few times a year I would say once a year would be fine. Even if I only used it 10 hours the whole year I would do it atleast once a year just to keep the oil fresh.

I agree, for 2-3 quarts of Amsoil 0-40 (or your choice of oil) and a oil filter you will be spending around $20 for an oil change. If you use your wheeler hard, and work the [PoorWordUsage] out of it, (not that I do wink.gif) I would possibly change it even more frequently.

Quote:

Guys - How often does everyone change the oil on their ATV's? The owners manual for my machine (2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450) says every six months (or 1,500 miles) but I have a hard time believing everyone does it that often.

That often? I do mine more frequently than that. Atvs, epending on how they are used are subject to all or most of the worst conditions possible. Dust, dirt, mud, sand, water, snow, heat, cold and everything in between.

I change mine a minimum of 3 times a year depending on how much and how I use it. I average somewhere around 2000 miles a year nowdays, in the past even more.

Changing oil is cheap insurance for a trusty quad that will take you to and from places in conditions you wouldn't dream of taking another vehicle in.

Depending on how you use the ATV would vary how often you change the oil. Does yours have an odometer or an hourmeter? An occasionally low usage machine never go longer than once a year. Engine heat up and cool down cycles, condensation, etc can be hard on oil, never go longer than once a year.

The AMSOIL recommendation - preferred lube, 0W-40, product code AFF, for hard working 4-stroke recreational equipment, includes wet-clutch and common sump/transmission specs is to follow the manufacturer's recomendations (many are now preferring synthetic lubes). With AMSOIL 0W-40's -60 deg F pour point you get excellent cold cranking, quick pump of lube for easier starting and best protection. The 40 hot also gives excellent summer protection.

1500 miles seems an awfully high mileage recommendation for such a hard working machine. 500 or 750 miles seems like a much more comfortable number to me.

Quote:

Try 4 times in one week. Yes I dropped mine through the ice. It took 4 changes to get the water out. First 3 times I just used cheap oil now have 0/40 wieght and will change again in the spring.

Keep your oil from the past 3-4 oil changes, along with your old filters. that way when you sink your machine you have oil and filters to use to get all the water out. Otherwise oil changes to flush out all that chocolate milk can get a bit spendy.