• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trouble sighting in 22

MIKEYMN

My son got savage youth modle 22 brand new as a gift. It has fixed iron sights. We are trying to sight it in at 25 yards. We got it center with a good 3 inch group and he can do this evey time, now the problem the group needs to go to left about 8 inches. How do i do this with fixed irons and all it has is up and down adjustmens?

I would check his dominant eye. This sounds very much how I found out I was a south-paw for shooting. If you already know how to check eye dominance the rest of this is moot, but if not, have him point to a corner of a room with both eyes open. Have him close or cover his right eye and ask if his pointing finger seemed to move from the corner. Then repeat the same thing with the other eye. The dominant eye will be the one where the finger point does not move off the corner when the eye is open.

Steve

Your .22 should have dove tail bases. To sight in the rifle you need to tap the rear sight in the direction you need the impact to go. Eg. if the bullet needs to go right then you move the rear sight to the right.

To do this you will need to tap the sight with a hammer, flat punch, or tool that will not damage the metal. I would recommend using a rag to soften impact of object used. Tap lightly and note that you will need little change in position to get the firearm sighted in. If the firearm rear sight is not adjustable, the front will need to be moved in the opposite direction to achieve the same results. Make sure you tap the bottom of the sight as not to damage the front blade or the rear sight.

I would think that if you e-mail the savage arms co they will explain it further if needed. I think they have a faq that may explain it also. Brent