• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil check?

Gofishleech

Honda has a oil system that is a little different than just checking the oil in a car or a tractor. Just recently realized that when I checked the dipstick with a cold engine(summer or winter) that it would always read overfull of oil. When I checked it with the dipstick not screwed in it also was overfull. Looked at the book and it reads to start the engine, idle 2-3 minutes, shut off & after another 2-3 minute wait then check with the dipstick in the hole but not screwed in. By doing this by the book, I realized that my oil level was actually low. Idleing the engine makes the difference. Since I have 1250 miles on it I hope I haven't done any engine damage. May need to just trade it off. grin.gif How's the Perch fishin been on Leech?

On a somewhat related note, the Rubicon is a good example of checking oil by the book. I've changed oil on a couple that filled 2 oil pans..(I think the pans held about 5 1/2, maybe 6 quarts!)

Now I'm puzzled. I just bought some oil for my 86 250 four trax and I ask him that very question. He told me to screw it in and back out to check. Any honda mechanics out there to answer which is the right way to check your oil.

My '00 Foreman labels the oil capacity at about 1 Liter in the book and stamped on the engine. One Liter shows up perfect level on the dipstick, without screwing the dipstick in.

On an unrelated note, anyone had problems with the oil temp light coming on with a cold engine on a Honda? My light goes on and off (even immediately at start up), and according to the manual, it's only function is to alert to a hot engine temperature. I suspect a short or faulty sensor, but the dealer is absolutely no help. confused.gif They've never heard of anything like this, no idea of components, etc... I haven't dug into the problem yet..

Chuck, its a Honda....nothing to worry about if I understand you correctly. Its normal for the light to come on for 3 to 5 seconds when you first turn the key on and then cycle again after starting the engine. My 02 does it as did my 99. Just to be sure I walked over to my neighbors house and tried his 06 500 Foreman, and it was the same. More than likely its purpose is to verify the circuit and the light are functioning. If it comes on after it has been running more than 5 seconds or so then there may be a problem.

Update:

Just for the heck of it I just paged through my manual and on page 24 I found this

(NOTE)

"The oil high temperature indicator should come on when the ignition switch is turned on. This is not a problem. The light should go off after a few seconds once the engine has been started."

Sorry, Mac, but I knew that. grin.gif Problem is the light is supposed to go on with a turn of the key and go out. My light goes out, and comes back on with a cold engine, flickers on/off some days..doesn't come on some days.. BUT, I forgot to mention I only have this goofy light problem in the winter months. In the summer the light never comes on. I use the machine almost daily, heated garage, etc...

It's got me confused.gif

Yes, it's a Honda, it has plenty of good oil and I know the engine is ice cold when the "engine hot warning" light goes on, so it really has not bothered me one bit over the past year or so. lol Oil/engine cooling fan works when the engine's hot, as it should.

Ok, so I did misunderstand. I didn't catch the part about the flickering in the original post. The first thing I'd do is check the wiring harness for any rubbing and/or wear and any loose connectors especially near the temp sender. If those look ok, the sender is the probably the culprit.

I looked on the microfiche of all parts on the machine and couldn't identify where the sender/sensor is, or anything. Any ideas? Dealer not much help.

I'll have to tear into the machine, it's tough to follow the wires in the casings and whatnot...

Thanks.

Chuck, I went out and looked at my Foreman some more this evening. It looks to me like the temp sender is located in the engine case down below the recoil. It appears that there is a short harness that connects to it, and then runs up to the main harness. I guess I'd check those two connections first to see if the connectors have been compromised or if the wires were damaged by something. It's a little difficult to get at on mine since I have a full skid plate. I would assume they use the same sender to trigger the fan and the light but I'm not positive. If we ever get any ^%#%$@ing snow (so I'd need the plow) I'd pull off the skid plate and test it and let you know.

Thanks Mac! I looked at it last night, but ran out of time to start tearing it apart to follow the wires more thoroughly. I'll have more time tonight, and look at that area and see what I can find.