• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It just seems to be getting harder now days to find a bunch of crappies and big crappies in Wi. I would like to see a crappie limit of ten fish with a 10" size limit. Do you think this would help or am I looking at it wrong. Whats your thoughts, are you happy with Wi. panfishing?

Personally I do not think a slot is the way to go on panfish... Lower the bag limits for sure!!! Tis the time and age of better angling methods and more users.. We need to protect our fisheries...

No need for more then 5 crappies in my mind.. and 10 gills... That a 10 and 20 possession limit... Surely enough for the freezer for sometime...

I have talked extensivly with wardens and biologists on this exaxt matter. Glad to see other people getting concerned. Trouble is everybody loves to keep and eat panfish, and they get no respect. The political ramifications killed a lowered panfish bill about 15 years ago when it was reccommended from the top (dnr) seems resorts, and other groups with lobbyists started howling how it would hurt business. (opposite of what really would happen if the fishing improved-look at U.R.L.) So the only way to change it is from the bottom up. Write those proposals and bring them to your countys Conservation. Congress meeting. This is the only way it would change. From the people I have spoken to, the semantics of the law could be changed to actually increase the "Panfish" limit, while protecting the fishery. A change in the law allowing the panfish limit to be raised to 30 fish a day might interest alot of the special interests, the stipulation would be 10 each of a species. You could keep 30 panfish, but only 10 crappies, 10 gills, and 10 perch per day! If you like this idea, write it in a proposal, sign your name on it and submit it at the congress hearing! The only way anything will ever change is if you get involved at a personal level and git-r-done!! Now, Where is our ice?? I have lake trout trips scheduled and may just have to un-winterize the boat !!! PRAY FOR COLD!!!!! Craig, Outdoor Allure Sport Shop & Guide Service, on the web.

FYI the panfish life span is 5 to 6 years. The DNR has limited various lakes down to 10, but I think it is only part of the issues. I have seen no size difference in 10 years on these lakes. You have predators (us included), food, oxygen, genetics, etc. Like the goldfish in a small bowl - only gets bigger if in a bigger bowl and has no competition. Be careful what you wish for. You may get a lake full of stunted fisheys..